Channa Bleheri, Breeding

Reaction score
so im planning on getting either one or two rainbow snakeheads and as everyone is im interested in breeding them if i get two? just a few quick questions though

how easy are they to breed ?
what should i be doing with temperature... is 23C ok?
any foods that are generaly better for spawning snakeheads ?
male and female ?

and generaly anyone else keep them, any experiences with them ? they look so nice at my LFS

and also ... what about dwarf snakehead...what exactly are they? and what living rquirements do they have?

never kept Bleheri although had assam and bred orientalis

there are many dwarf snakeheads of which bleheri are one if I;m not mistaken

I;d get 4-6 bleheri hope that you get a pair and then sell the spare ones off

they eat absolutely anything in my opinion and like a tank full of wood,lplants and cover

so im planning on getting either one or two rainbow snakeheads and as everyone is im interested in breeding them if i get two? just a few quick questions though

how easy are they to breed ?<fairly easy
what should i be doing with temperature... is 23C ok?<this article would make for very intresting reading..rainbow snakehead
any foods that are generaly better for spawning snakeheads ?
male and female ?one of each equals a better chance at fry :shifty: sorry had too

and generaly anyone else keep them, any experiences with them ? they look so nice at my LFS

and also ... what about dwarf snakehead...what exactly are they? and what living rquirements do they have?
As stated wood/rocks hiding holes and lots of plant cover either live or fake,floating plants<good ole duckweed> are a very good option they have two benifits,one it provides cover and two stops the urge to escape

Filteration if possible aimed downward leaving top like a mill pond,i fine this alot better with my ornatipinnis

woah cheers guys ... pretty good with the old snakeheads are we nelly? :D

are ornatipinis smaller ? i think ive seen them somewhere... have the got a bit of blue in them .. ? and yeah my aim was to cover the top with duckweed.. pretty much ... make it all dim n nice

and yep .. filter pointing downwards :D thanks (Y)

i only have it up to aggitate the water for oxgen but i guess that doesnt matter cause they can breathe from the surface right ?

well i work for a shop n weve got rainbows in i asked my manager if he could sex em he said yep ... i asked another he said no .. so going back to my male female pont ? is there a differnce ?? lol yeh i get like that when theres and easy pun going .. :D cant blame you .. woah i cant wait to get snakehead but im doing this properly if im doing this

are cockles, river shrimp and smelt ok for food ? the smelt n cockles are frozen

oh yeah and i cant realy affor 6 channa bleheri :D i would if i could but i get paid jack all :/

if your after dwarf channa keep an eye out for someone whos bred them, they;ll be cheaper

I sold 15 baby channa orientalis for a tenner!!

mine eat flake pellets and frozen brine,bloodworm, prawn and they loved dried mosquito lavae

This channa is nearly impossible to sex bleheri,females are usally smaller and have larger bellys around breeding time,so people say males have slightly longer and thinner heads, other than this only way is to let them sort out who's who and who is going to be the lucky male so to speak...you should discover when getting a group than males after a few weeks will probally start to fight,indicating which sex is which, there are some people who breed and keep alot of different channa,these people iam sure know whats the difference,but even for them its exstemely hard,thats why you find most channa keepers will purchase a group...
foods are good pellets/;chopped prawns/bloodworm and other frozen foods,i fed my channa ornatipinnis fry from birth on de-shelled brineshrimp eggs from birth, then i feed them something different everytime i feed,this way there not fussy..lol..

cheers for the help mate :D im contemplating just to get one for the time being, and probably just leave it at that. if getting a breeding pair requires getting 6 and moving 4 i dont think i could do that with the resources i have im pretty sure its just the one .. i dont want to risk 2 males, cause them im ballsed :/ but yeah theyre so nice i realy cant wait.... i hope they get colours as nice as the ones ive seen ... will do my best to vary the diet..

oh yeah you say they aint fussy ... urm i used to feed my synos earthworms. are the bleheri ok with that (alsong as there isnt aint pesticides in te area i get em from right?) i dont do it anymore cause i got mbuna with them ... they like veggie stuff and i think its bad when they eat meat stuff

and woah i think i would take you up on that for an ornatipinis if i didnt like the reds n blue that you get with the rainbows so much :D

anyway guys thanks for the help (Y)

Most reactions

Back