Changing Water

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
When I do my water changes, I merely drain 2 thirds of the water and refill directly from the hose. Is this a problem??.... I do'nt think bringing colder water to fish is as much of a problem as it would be when taking a fish to colder water.
 
As long as the fish are reasonably healthy they can tolerate a slight drop in temperature. In cold climates there can be issues with the tap water lowering the tank temp too much and some of the weaker fish could perish.

Using straight tap water can have problems if there is chlorine or chloramine in the water supply. If you have chlorine in the water you should add a double dose of dechlorinator to the tank while the water is being added. Also increase aeration/ surface turbulence and this will help to drive the chlorine out. If you have chloramine in the water then use a water conditioner that breaks down chloramine and traps the ammonia in a safer form.
 
yep agree with the above but.... personally 2 thirds water change every week is a little unesserary unless u have conditions in the tank that requiring that much of a change every week.


jen
 
i use it straight fro9m the hose aswell. no problem atall. it simulates rainfall in the wild.
 
I just refill direct from the tap, adding dechlorinator (double dose) as it trickles in from the hose (python). But I never do more than 50% at a time.
 
I usually replenish 2 gallons on a 24" aquarium (convenient bucket size increments) I just fill from the cold tap for ordinary (if you can call them that) community based aquariums and add 1 kettle of boiled water to that, then I administer whatever additives I wish to this. For Salties I have to heat the water.
 
we have a bucket next to the tank that we fill with water then heat it through some fish do like it as it sets the spawning off :good:
 
For Salties I have to heat the water.
have should probably read choose. Unless you are changing huge amounts then many of the salties will do fine from room temperature water (considering most salt water is pre-mixed) is poured into the tank.

I never heat any water being changed in, be it FW or SW.

However, on the OP's point, changing two thirds with cold water tap temperature can be a bit too much. I change up to 40% on the FW, and recommend that pure cold water is fine even in winter for up to about 20-25%, but above that and you do have to consider the temperature of the water you are putting into the tank.
 
Now just for interrest sake, I measured the temp before my cnange this afternoon and after..... It was 27,2 (Deg C) and 20,5 (Deg C) respectively..... s'pose its ok if you add the cold to the tank, but I also think the fish will die immediately (or contract ich) if you have to take it out of a 27,2 deg tank and place it immediately into a 20,5 (deg) tank....(we currently have winter over here)
 
I usually replenish 2 gallons on a 24" aquarium (convenient bucket size increments) I just fill from the cold tap for ordinary (if you can call them that) community based aquariums and add 1 kettle of boiled water to that, then I administer whatever additives I wish to this. For Salties I have to heat the water.

Same size tank, same amount and exact same method I use. If I ever do get a decent size tank (5-6 ft or more) I intend to pick up a plastic bin from B&Q that'll hold 80 litres, hose pipe into there then, add tap safe and leave for half an hour to warm up to room temp then add-or lob in a couple of kettles of water if I'm in a hurry.
 
ha... I might start doing it your way...


i sit there like a frikkin melon for ages with my hot n cold tap over a tiny bucket using a thermometer to match the tank temp identically!

hmmm.
 
ha... I might start doing it your way...


i sit there like a frikkin melon for ages with my hot n cold tap over a tiny bucket using a thermometer to match the tank temp identically!

hmmm.

LOL only thing is u dont need 2 match the temp exactly a couple of degree's drop while doing a water change is actually benefiacial the ur fish :)


jen
 
i use the hose pipe directly into the tank also.only had a problem once when i did a huge water change and it was too cold, but thankfully didnt lose anything, and i wont be making that mistake again,believe me!.other than that for smallish water changes its absolutley fine, i use it on all my tanks and my oscars dont even sulk when i do 40%, i used to use 3 10L buckets and took hours of my time, now i can do the tank/filter and refil in about an hour, and my hands are free too :)

shelagh xxx
 
i use those large 15L spring water bottles for my water change, i add a bit of salt and the dechlorinator, i then fill them with cold water. Then place the bottles in a bathtub full of hot water and leave them for 40 mins before putting the water in the tank. Never had a problem with it. That is for my tropical fish who's water temp is a constant 29c

For my marine fish i use the tap water temperature. I dont bother heating the water
 
The only time i heat water is when i have fry or very young fish so i dont stress them too much, otherwise i think the fish enjoy the temp change :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top