April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Hey everyone!

I hope that this is the right place to post this but my boyfriend is interested in getting a chameleon. However, the only place around here that sells them is Petsmart in the next town and I was wondering if they're lizards have the best health like their fish :X.

Is it sensible to buy a chameleon at Petsmart or should I tell him to find another pet store?

Thanks guys! ^_^

First off, do your research on Cham care. They have some special needs and considerations to keep in mind. Secondly, youre better off getting a Cham from a breeder or a respectable and trusted pet store that gets them straight from a breeder. Sometimes the lizards are Petsmart ARE actually healthy and well cared for, but do some research on how to identify a healthy Cham. Personally, I'd look for reptile shows or expos in your area and get one straight from a breeder. That way, you have are more likely to get a truely healthy speciman. And there will be others there to compare it to, which will help you identify any physical problems you might now have noticed had it been the only one available.

Theyre not that hard to look after, ive had mine 3years now, and shes great!, the main thin is to keep the tank/viv very humid, and the can eat for england ( or U.S if your from there :p ), they cant be handle alot, as there grip hurts, ALOT!!!

chameleon.jpg

leon

Thanks for the input! Sorry for such a delay but I wrote this topic while at school and here I am at home! :p

Anyway, I'll be sure to let my boyfriend know and I love the picture leon!! I'll be sure to tell him to do lots of research!

I'd love a chameleon too Feeshy! I think he's getting me one because he's been hinting about it but I'm not sure :unsure: . I dunno if I'm prepared for another animal! I have a hard enough time getting motivated to vacuum the fish tank! :lol:

By the way, what's a viv? :huh:

Thanks!

lilhurleybunny said:
By the way, what's a viv? :huh:
a vivarium is a habitat that suites the cham and all its needs

i think males get around 18-24 inches and females 18 inches or the other way around

a taller vivarium would be recommended as they are climbers and UVA & UVB lighting is a must and a waterfall of some sort wouldnt hurt either as they can only see moving objects i believe

EDIT: size was the other way around

I already posted this pic in the other pics section, but I'll repost here anyway.

bud2.jpg

Caveat, I'm not an expert and have only had my chameleon a short time.

Adult veiled chameleons need height more than width & depth, 3ft is the minimum. It's generally not a good idea to put them in a fish tank as they need ventilation, mine lives in a custom built vivarium.

Mr bones is correct about water. Chameleons will not drink from standing water (ie: in a dish). A lot of people have reported waterfall devices are useless too. The only way to get a chameleon to drink is to either mist it with a plant mister 4 times a day, or to install a dripper system (kind of like an acclimating drip for fish) for water. You need plants (either plastic or live) as the cham will drink droplets from the leaves. Making them drink can be difficult. You'll also need to shower your chameleon regularly (once every week or 2) - put them on a fake or real plant, put them in your shower and turn the water on a fine spray and luke warm. This takes 30 to 60 mins. Too much time for you? Don't get a chameleon, get a gecko.

All in all (and from what I've read, I've never kept another lizard apart from my cham), they are NOT low maintenance. You will have to dedicate a fair amount of time to sorting their food out, misting them, showering them, cleaning their home out etc. They WILL eat a hell of a lot of food. Mine eats about 15 crickets every 2 days (they mainly eat live food - are you prepaerd for crickets and locusts in your house?), as well as a few greens. I don't know about where you live, but I get about 20 crickets per box and each box is £2.50. Add that up, and he can easily demolish £30 or so of food a month. So if money is a consideration, think carefully. Don't forget you have to feed ("gut load") the crickets too - more time required. Also consider vets bills - there is apparently not much you can do yourself for self-treatment. Everything I have read and been told says that chameleons will die without vetinary treatment when they need it. You can't wait and see, they're not like fish.

They are NOT handling pets. Every chameleon is obviously different, but excessive handling causes stress. Don't buy one if you think you're going to be able to walk round with it sitting on your shoulder.

That said, they are amazing, smart animals with so much more personality than geckos. Just watching him walk around and do his thing is incredible, and when they tag a cricket with their tongue ... :eek: :hyper:

Geez :S ! Thanks for all the information Mr. Bones and Def!! :D It is greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to show Hunter (my boyfriend), this page!!

I certainly hope he isn't getting me a chameleon with all that work! If I had the time I wouldn't hesistate to get one because they are amazing!

Thanks again for the information! I had no idea how much went into keeping a Cham! :thumbs:

lilhurleybunny,
Your are just in luck. I see you are from MD. I'm in SE PA and used to go to reptile shows in Havre de Grace, MD alot a few years ago, especially when I was breeding Leopard Geckos.
I had a hard time passing up the baby Veiled Chameleons, which usually went for $20.00, Panthers were around $30.00, and Jacksons around $25.00. I think everytime I was there someone always had Veiled Chameleons there. I have not been there in 2 or 3 years though. Been thinking of making a trip.
I just checked the site and they still have the shows.
Here's the link:
http://www.mdreptilefarm.com/shows/

:hyper: :hyper:

Thank you eglecko! I'll be sure to visit the site later today. That's great information because PetsMart was selling them for $100!!! :crazy:

I've never ventured over to Havre De Grace because I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland but I'll think of you and Chams whenever I visit :p .

Thanks again! I'll let Hunter know about that great deal!! ^_^

I wouldn't get one from a petstore...do you have a reptile swap near you? Where do you live, what state? I may be able to tell you where one is. Has your friend considered getting one from a breeder online...getting one in the mail? Let me know if you still need help. I think a breeder is the best place to get an animal...especially reptiles. They come from them in all together better health.

They do take alot of work, the cage has to be clean all the time, they need to be monitored for humidity, constant water changes...Make sure he REALLY wants one, and he is not just facinated for the moment. They live a long time. I hate seeing reptiles like that neglected.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back