'centerpiece' Fish

Rynofasho

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I spend entirely too much time now researching fish and the like and I still haven't chosen a fish / been able to find what I want at my LFS. Here is my deal. Current fish are in my sig and I don't plan on adding anymore of them. As it says below, 36 gallon tank.

As water goes, my tank pH hovers around 8.0 and none of my fish seem to mind it as they are all doing great. The tank will eventually be planted but not super heavily.

I wanted to get some Bolivian Rams, however I checked every LFS around here and can't find them (plus I don't want to pay to have them shipped overnight). My next idea was 5 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish as they are a different body type than all the others and will add some color, however I feel that I'd be approaching overstocked if I added 5 more fish. I was also looking at Dwarf Gouramis, however I have read that they are difficult to keep and prone to disease.

So, I'm looking for either a single fish or a pair of fish that will be no bigger than about 4" each full grown, will add some color to the tank, are more tolerant of higher pH, and will get along with all my other tankmates.

What other options do I have? I'm starting to look at some other Gouramis but I see that most tend to be at least somewhat territorial and temperamental, so I'm really just looking for some suggestions of other fish to research. Thanks.

I feel your pain for the bolivian ram, I ended up driving to a MHA somewhere north of Liverpool twice, first to check if they had them in stock and their health the next was to make sure they were healthy still and buy one. Kinda wishing I bought more than one though, they have such great personalities.

I only have experience with dwarf gouramis, I have found the males only territorial to each other and not normally any other residents in the tank. I had two males live happily together until my amazon frogbit melted which caused there to be only one corner full of floating plants where a dominance issue became a problem. I removed the weaker one into my smaller tank primarily until the frogbit grew back but since it's all grown back I think my weaker gourami has become quite accustomed to his new tank and mates so he won't be going back.

Is that 36 us gallons or uk gallons? Always best to give it in litres to avoid confusion.

I have a rather lovely honey gourami that is very active in the tank at all levels not shy really at all. Very intresting to watch. lovely gold colour all over

I spend entirely too much time now researching fish and the like and I still haven't chosen a fish / been able to find what I want at my LFS. Here is my deal. Current fish are in my sig and I don't plan on adding anymore of them. As it says below, 36 gallon tank.

As water goes, my tank pH hovers around 8.0 and none of my fish seem to mind it as they are all doing great. The tank will eventually be planted but not super heavily.

I wanted to get some Bolivian Rams, however I checked every LFS around here and can't find them (plus I don't want to pay to have them shipped overnight). My next idea was 5 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish as they are a different body type than all the others and will add some color, however I feel that I'd be approaching overstocked if I added 5 more fish. I was also looking at Dwarf Gouramis, however I have read that they are difficult to keep and prone to disease.

So, I'm looking for either a single fish or a pair of fish that will be no bigger than about 4" each full grown, will add some color to the tank, are more tolerant of higher pH, and will get along with all my other tankmates.

What other options do I have? I'm starting to look at some other Gouramis but I see that most tend to be at least somewhat territorial and temperamental, so I'm really just looking for some suggestions of other fish to research. Thanks.

Yes, Gouramis are excellent centrepiece fish! :good: :D
There are a few alternatives to the DG that are more peaceful, less disease prone, quite small...

1)Colisa chuna - Honey Gourami - One of the smallest Gouramis, very peaceful, much more so than the DG

2)Colisa labiosa - Thick Lipped Gourami - Slightly larger than the DG but much less disease prone and more peaceful. Various colour morphs of this species exist and many of the morphs are very attractive :)

3)Colisa fasciata - Banded Gourami or Indian Gourami as it is sometimes known as - As the Thick Lipped Gourami except no colour morphs exist and it is very slightly bigger.

As with all Gourami, you shouldn't keep 2 males in the same tank. The 3 species I mentioned should be kept in pairs consisting of 1M 1F except the Honey Gourami which can be kept in groups consisting of 1M and multiple F. And also, try not to mix different species of Gourami.

Carl

EDIT: DG= Dwarf Gourami

The tank is 36 US Gallons or about 137 litres.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back