Centerpeice Fish

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, Canada
I've got a fully planted out 20 gallon tall tank filled with community fish but I'm looking for a Center peice fish to complete the tank. I know its probably over stocked but I have good filtration (aqua clear 70) and its loaded with plants. They have lots of room and have been fine living like this for months with no deaths or desieses. :)

Can anyone recommend a good community style center peice fish to complete my tank please. I really like gold gouramis but im not really sure how they would do in a 20 gallon

I've got:

5 red phantom tetra
4 black phantom tetra
6 blue diamond tetra
3 harlequin rasbora
6 pencilfish
3 kuhli loach(i bought 5 but 2 got squished in the corner of the bag on the way back from LFS and I havent been able to find any more since)
 
i dont know about the gouramis but what about a ram

i was thinking about a ram but im not sure how well cichlids mix with community fish. though the ram is suppose to be friendlier than most cichlids

Do they mind being alone or is it best for them to be in pairs?? If I got a pair and didn't want any breeding or agression should I get 2 females, or does it matter?
 
they can live on there own or in pair but if they breed they will get agressive
dwrf gourmai would work but im not sure about gold gourami
what about a pair of apisto
 
Gold gouramis get abou 4-5 inches or so and mine is very aggressive towards other fish. They are omnivores and might eat some plants.

red tetra = 10 inches
black tetra = 7 inches
blue tetra= 14.5 inches
harlequin= 5 inches
pencil=9 inches
kuhli loach=12 inches

I think way too many fish for a 20... your fish may be small now but they grow. Would you consider rehoming some of your fish?

And rams are very sensitive to water quality and not man people can keep them alive long.
 
Gold gouramis get abou 4-5 inches or so and mine is very aggressive towards other fish. They are omnivores and might eat some plants.

red tetra = 10 inches
black tetra = 7 inches
blue tetra= 14.5 inches
harlequin= 5 inches
pencil=9 inches
kuhli loach=12 inches

I think way too many fish for a 20... your fish may be small now but they grow. Would you consider rehoming some of your fish?

And rams are very sensitive to water quality and not man people can keep them alive long.


When the fish were bought they were all full grown expect the blue diamonds.

I was thinking of giving the pencilfish back to the LFS but I feel bad putting them back from a nice planted peaceful tank to stressful empty tanks at the LFS.

Honestly I have extra filtration as well as its loaded with plants which help the filtration and it doesn't look crowded. I do water changes once a week 50% and my water stats are always spot on :)

I've heard nasty things about gold gouramis. I had one last year who was the most peaceful fish ever but im not sure I will get that lucky again.
 
Maybe you had a female gourami. Mine is male.

Are there any other fish stores near you? I go to one where they have plants and rock decorations and stuff. They look happy waiting to be bought. Much better than petsmart.
Even if you have extra filtration, I was thinking more about swimming space and such... :\ I still think you should rehome some. Maybe the kuhli, pencils, and blue tetras.

As for centerpiece I wouldnt recommend german blue ram, they are sensitive. My female liked to defend her amazon sword. She didnt attack, just puffed up and ran off the other fish. My male would take on an 8 inch pleco.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top