Celestial Pearl Danio's Dwindling Just Months After Discovery

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
"Just months after the discovery of a colorful new aquarium fish in Southeast Asia, worldwide demand and intense exportation are already causing concern about the readily available supply of the species";

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...7-new-fish.html

If you know anyone who owns these fish or wants some or any lfs which stock them, you should inform them about this beautiful fishes plight.

"the species most likely doesn't face a threat to its survival because other populations of the fish probably exist in areas inaccessible to fishers"
"Probably exist" Doesn't sound very good to me, for all we know we could be practically fishing this fish to extinction (which we are based on the one and only habitat so far known in existance of where this fish lives in the wild). I think people should halt the exportation of this fish rather than wait until we know more about it, we should only resume exporting this fish until we have successfully bred it in captivity as otherwise if we take every last fish out of the wild there could be no more celestical pearl danio's anywhere after the captive stock has died off. Not to mention the excessive exportation of this fish must not be good at all for the remaining danio's in the wild as the wild gene pool becomes smaller and more inbred and the food chains connected to this fish in the wild suffer too.

I believe ~T~ has sucessfully bred them and there was fry but I think they got eaten. I've also seen a few other people claim to have bred them. :good: There's some threads in the specific forum.

wolf posted last week that there had been anoter location found with them in the wild, hopefully that will also not become overfished and the population in the wild can return to it's former glory.

i believe the governement of that country are looking into controlling the export of this species. the wolf would be the person to ask though, he always knows about these things!

yup my understanding is the government of Myanmar are currently revising their export police of danionins and other fish.
however at this point in time there is no restrictions on the number of fish that a person/company may export.

yup my understanding is the government of Myanmar are currently revising their export police of danionins and other fish.
however at this point in time there is no restrictions on the number of fish that a person/company may export.

Its good they are revising their export policey of the danio's, but i wish they'd act quicker :/ . You are quite successful in breeding a variety of danio's Wolf, yes? Would you ever consider breeding these ones?

Yup loks like theres gonna be a ban on them to let the wild stock recover.I grabbed a few more from a lfs that still has them.My reasoning being that im at least making an effort to breed them, otherwise they would end up in some kids community tank being eaten by angelfish or something.The guys in the shop says hes been actually trying to steer novices away from them saying they are sensitive(wich they are not really)so breeders can get a chance to buy them.He said hes had a lot of people buying them in large groups who plan on spawning them.

Yup loks like theres gonna be a ban on them to let the wild stock recover.I grabbed a few more from a lfs that still has them.My reasoning being that im at least making an effort to breed them, otherwise they would end up in some kids community tank being eaten by angelfish or something.The guys in the shop says hes been actually trying to steer novices away from them saying they are sensitive(wich they are not really)so breeders can get a chance to buy them.He said hes had a lot of people buying them in large groups who plan on spawning them.

Thats great news, i hope you are able to successfully breed them and rear the fry with no problems this time :good: . Its nice the petshop guy is looking out for the danio's too, it would be a shame it they turned into another zebra pleco situation with hardly any of them left in the wild and very expensive prices for the ones in captivity.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back