Catfish with one eye!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A catfish my friend has, has only one eye. Is that bad? Really bad? Do they use their eyes a lot? Do they really need two eyes?

Also, do catfish like to hang out in groups? (and no, my friend's catfish is not a cory, i'm not sure what species it is. It's currently just a baby, a few inches in length. We were told that they grow over a foot in length)

I now have two one eyed fish (thanks to "Trouble in my betta tank" - see Tropical Emergencies). One of them is a rummynosed tetra I bought that way and I've had him a couple of years now. The other is a cherry barb I'm going to call Long John Silver because he's also missing a tail from an earlier incident.

Anyway, one eyed fish are fine. They rely more on taste and smell to get around anyway, and a mysterious sense involving their lateral line, resembling sonar.

AA is right (nice to se youve woken up now Anna :p ), catfish can get on quite well with one eye, even being completly blind dosent bother them too much as a member of this site found to his horror, he had bought a blind tiger shovelnose catfish because he felt sorry for it, that was until it ate some of his fish one night :hyper:

Hi FlareBettaGuy :)

Your friend's handicapped fish will undoubtably become a special pet of his. It's amazing how living things adapt to such problems. :thumbs:

Life is a precious thing. :nod:

Most reactions

Back