caring for gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bahja

Reaction score
hello all. i just picked up my first gourami... ever.

i've not experience with this species so a lot of advice would be very welcome. i know they're pretty easy to keep, but still, i would like to boost my confidence in caring for this fish.

thanks in advance

Can you give us more info? Like what type of gourami it is... that would help give more accurate info.

you mean they all aren't the same? :blink:

ha.. ok.. well i picked out a gold gourami... that's what it was labeled. i plan to pick up a baby blue powder? gourami soon.

Can you also tell us what size of tank and what other fish are in the tank? That would be helpful. :thumbs: Also, just fyi, since you have a gold gourami, I would suggest not getting the other gourami you were planning on - that is a type of dwarf gourami, and usually dwarfs don't get along with other, larger species such as golds.

Gouramis are super cool fish, at least I think so. I have 8 gouramis and I've never had any problems with them. They enjoy floating live plants, though I'm not sure if you plan on having a planted tank.

Other than that I really don't know of any specific needs that must be met.

I got myself 8 Dwarfs Gouramis, i keep them in a ratio of 3 males 5 females. Higher number of females to divide the males attention :D

thanks julie. that info will save me a couple of bucks!

maybe i'll return the gold and get the dwarf ones.

oh.. right now, i've got the gold in a 10 gallon tank with a few guppies. i know the gold will eat the guppies. i don't really mind... the guppies were given to me.

if i were to go with the dwarves, how much would i be able to stock?

oh, and how do i sex gouramis?

Most of the times the males will be longer,be brighter,and will have a longer dorsal fin.The females will usualy be larger around and short with a rouded short dorsal fin.

oh man... i threw in the gold into my cichlid tank fearing for it's life... but it's a freakin' terror in there. it chases around the cons and zebras that are almost twice it's size...

now i'm fearing for the lives of my cichlids :blink:

will gouramis do well with goldfish? i'm askin' cuz my girlfriend has gold fish.

and another thing, can gouramis be treated like bettas? or do they actually need swimming room?

Dont put Gourami or Betta for that matter in small little jars both need and do better with lots of room

Goldfish are more of a cooler water fish then Gourami, but they should do well if they are the same size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back