Carbon Media?

fortuncai

New Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Minnesota
Can anyone tell me if there is any benefit to using the carbon media? I know that it helps with that fishy smell in your tanks, but if that is its only benefit, then I am going to stop using it. One less thing to buy allows for more money to purchase new tanks! :hyper:
 
do you use plant ferts? becuase it removes them.
 
well then you are not wasting the fert? what fert do you use if i may ask?? well i took my carbon out and just put an extra layer of the fine wool like stuff that goes on the top.
 
Carbon can be used if you want but it isn't necessary unless you have lots of chemicals in your water supply. Then the carbon will help to remove them from the water. However, most water supplies are not that bad.
Many people use carbon after they have treated their tank for a disease but don't use it at other times. Doing bigger and more frequent water changes will help to reduce the medication in the water and will also help reduce the fishy smell you have. You should also do a gravel clean and suck out any uneaten food once the fish have been fed. Rotting food is the biggest cause of smelly tanks.
 
well then you are not wasting the fert? what fert do you use if i may ask?? well i took my carbon out and just put an extra layer of the fine wool like stuff that goes on the top.

I use the Flourish line of products (regular, iron and excel).

Carbon can be used if you want but it isn't necessary unless you have lots of chemicals in your water supply. Then the carbon will help to remove them from the water. However, most water supplies are not that bad.
Many people use carbon after they have treated their tank for a disease but don't use it at other times. Doing bigger and more frequent water changes will help to reduce the medication in the water and will also help reduce the fishy smell you have. You should also do a gravel clean and suck out any uneaten food once the fish have been fed. Rotting food is the biggest cause of smelly tanks.

I already do weekly water changes in all of my tanks at around 50% each week. I don't have a fishy smell, I just know that its one of the reasons to use carbon. I use a Python siphon when I do water changes so the gravel beds are very clean.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top