Carbon in your planted tank

Do you add carbon to you filter in your planted tank?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Total voters
No carbon in my tank either, for the same reasons that The-Wolf posted:

The-Wolf said:
Carbon will absorb many of the nutrients that plants need, especially iron.
to have a sucessfull planted tank, no carbon.
[snapback]868218[/snapback]​

I replaced the carbon with peat granules. I have an Aquaclear 200 which has plenty of room in it. 1/3 sponge and 1/3 (or more) peat. The peat softens the water a bit, is good for both the plants and fish, adds some additional space for bacteria to grow and stains the water a beautiful tea colour. :nod:

I have 2 Emperor 400's in the big 100 usg getting planted tank. They have 2 bio wheels each. There will probably be another filter or two cycling for quarantine and hospital soon. I suppose I could put some sponges in them. They have enough room for 4 filters + in each one. I have loooots of driftwood, but I suppose I could add some peat. It won't make the water too soft? Do you just use the blue and white bonded filter stuff? I also have the micro filter stuff that I add when I take the carbon out.

Actually I can use the chemi-pure and carbon in the coldwater tank, the unplanted tanks and quarantine for now.

Thanks Griz :nod:

Hey Jollysue...

I have that same 400 filter on my 50 gallon tank.
As you know, there is room in that filter for, first, the carbon/filter pad, then the next filter that allows you to put whatever in it...ie more carbon/ammonia stuff would be what i think they were thinking about.. then the bio wheels...

I just took out the carbon and left the filter media in the first space for mechanical filtration... then in the one you can fill up, i filled it with Eheim biological media....

Between the Ehiem media and the Bio wheels, its jammin :)
Also.. if for some reason the power went out and the bio wheels went dry....atleast ALL your bio wouldnt die.. the Eheim stuff would still be under water.. ;>

Its a pretty sweet mechcanical/bio filter now :)

Sounds good, thanks I'll be looking into the bio media. I just got a big order, but there is a sweet sale on at Fosters and Smith. ;)

Thanks everyone for answering and giving me the benefit of your experience. :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Back