Carbon in your planted tank

Do you add carbon to you filter in your planted tank?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Total voters
i use to, but ppl told me not 2, so i odnt anymore, unless im gonna use meds....but then i think i have to take out the plants.

i voted no

Carbon will absorb many of the nutrients that plants need, especially iron.
to have a sucessfull planted tank, no carbon.

Carbon will absorb many of the nutrients that plants need, especially iron.
to have a sucessfull planted tank, no carbon.
Ditto

Instead of carbon, what would be a good idea to have in a filter instead? (I have a fluval 2).

Hmm... Same question here frankly - what do you replace the carbon insert with if anything? I currently use an aqua clear 300, with sponge, carbon and some other plant insert thingy I can't remember the name of it but it's supposed to help keep algae down.

I used to think I *knew* what I was doing, now I feel like I'm starting aalllll over again but in a good way!

illusion54 said:
Instead of carbon, what would be a good idea to have in a filter instead? (I have a fluval 2).
[snapback]868854[/snapback]​

Mechanical and biological filter media. A filter sponge and those little ceramic donuts are good.

i have juwel tanks, simply removed the carbon and added another blue sponge in its place.

as stated above carbon and planted tanks dont mix. you add the ferts to the water and the carbon takes it straight out again. not the brightest idea and rather a waste of money. it did take me a few weeks to realise that though

Doh.gif
wish I knew this before :angry:
OK, carbon goes OUT tonight !

Yenko said:
illusion54 said:

Mechanical and biological filter media. A filter sponge and those little ceramic donuts are good.
[snapback]869643[/snapback]​
Can't add donuts to those filters (Fluval 2 +) - no space :no:
Only space for small sponge - so perhaps just leave it out then.

bloozoo2 said:
Yenko said:
illusion54 said:

[snapback]869643[/snapback]​
Can't add donuts to those filters (Fluval 2 +) - no space :no:
Only space for small sponge - so perhaps just leave it out then.
[snapback]870210[/snapback]​

A lot of people (me included) will just add more filter floss, you know the white pad on the top of your filter just add a little bit extra, or dont bother, i have another juwel tank with an internal filter and i took the carbon out months ago and didnt replace it with anything with no ill effects whatsoever, all plants and fish (and water) are doing just fine.

I'm just about to start setting up my new tank - a jewel rekord 60. Is it ok to just leave the carbon out (it comes in a little set with the pieces of white filter wool).

:lol: At first I thought you meant this , and I do add it on occasion

http://www.petsolutions.com/Flourish+Excel...-100058-C-.aspx

I stopped using carbon filter media many years ago , bio filtration and water changes are most important to me ...............I remove solid wastes with water changes , though some are broken down and used as food for my plants .
and algae :rolleyes:

What about chemical filtration like chemi-pure? It doesn't remove meds and stuff.

This is new to me too. So I need to discard the use of carbon filtration all together (except when cleansing of meds,etc.)?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back