Carbon In Filter.

spectrum

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
379
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Derbyshire
Hi, i was just wondering if carbon filter pads get rid of discolouration in fish tanks (tannins from wood in my case)
On the box it says that it removes discolouration, but i have had it in since friday. Its now Monday and i can't see any difference.
Is this just me being impatiant? or do they not actually remove tannins?
I dont mind the yellow that much, but i'm getting a little tired of it now.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Spectrum
 
Personally Ive never found carbon to remove tannins, but apparently it is suppose to help. Water changes are the best way to get rid of tannins, plus add extra floss to your filter may help.
 
Nope - sorry.

Activated carbon or carbon sponges for the filter will remove colouration caused by chemicals such as those in medicines that are used in the tank - but they will not remove tannins. Tannins are so stable in the water that they dont react/bind with the carbon.
 
mine got rid of some tannins if im honest =/ lol

just do water changes =)

personally, i like the tannin color
 
Thanks Guys, big help. I dont think I want to completely eradicate the tannin clolour but I want it to be less strong than is.
Thanks again.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top