Carbon Filter Juwel Tank

stiffler69

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
UK
Hi wich filter is the carbon one in the tank, i treated yesterday with wormer plus what apparantly also rids me of snails, no snails are dead yet, so im pressuming i still have the carbon filter media present what colour is the carbon one, and once its been removed can i retreat the tank

thanks.
 
The carbon sponge is black.
You only ever need to use black carbon when removing meds, so using it all the time is a complete waste of money.
You can fill the space with another juwel sponge.
 
Thanks ill see if their is a black sponge present and if their is ill replace it
 
Its says its advised to remove black carbon while using this med, which applies to all meds.
So when you first used the wormer plus was the black carbon still in the filter.
<a href="http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_45492.php" target="_blank">http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_45492.php</a>

Yeah i assumed the guy had removed them who last had the tank, since he used to keep discuss worming is a big thing with them so i thought it may of already been removed, i have now removed the two small black sponges from the filter and hopefully can run for a 7 days course without them in or any other media in place of them i will then replace once the seven day course is complete, will this be ok for me to do this thanks.
 
Can i redose these straight away or should i wait a day or two and do a few water changes really want to get the tank wormed and rid myself of these snails thanks.
 
If the black carbon has been in a while I doubt it pulled the meds out.
It only meant to work for two days.
I would do a water change then if you think the med didn't work because of the black carbon, and add it again.;
Does it say in the instructions that you can't overdose, as it did say that with flubenol.
 
So, wilder. I have a HOB bio-wheel filter. Actually two. So I'm not supposed to change the filter every two weeks? Only to get medications out of the water?

Am I understanding that right? Does it matter that there isn't always the activated carbon in the filter? Or should I be replacing it as suggested by the manufacturer?
 
You only need to use black carbon in a filter when you need to remove meds from the tank.
Its a complete waste of money to use it all the time.
You can always add another sponge or filter floss in its place.

Written by tolak and I agree what he has said.

Carbon is only effective for a few days to a week before it is full of the sort of impurities it removes. Most everyone runs it to remove medication, as it is excellent at chemical filtration. Beyond this your water contains little if any chemicals, the most commonly found in tap water is chlorine & chloramine. These are more easily dealt with using a good water conditioner, as opening up your cannister once or twice weekly is not needed for maintenance, and is more trouble than using a good water conditioner.

Save the carbon for when you may need it, most probably for removing meds. As far as what to replace it with, that depends on the fish you are stocking, and the stocking density
 
I suspected that it was a ploy to sell more product. The floss pulls out the big stuff and the bio-wheel does what it does.

The last couple times I've done a water change I've just been rinsing the cartridge in the old water.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top