Can't Update Security Software

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aaronnorth

www.ukaps.org
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm running vista with Microsoft Security Essentials and it can't install an update due to another installation taking place.
The other installation is a 'windows update' that never installs. Even if I try and stop it, it does nothing and tries to carry on installing it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Aaron

I had this problem with vista, i also ran AVG and that also did the same due to another application taking place. I got that fed up with vista, i got rid and installed windows 7. Windows 7 is so much better and more use friendly. But to answer you question Aaron, i couldn't find a way to sort the problem.

start into safe mode disable updates reboot then choose allow me to select and download updates

problem solved

I had this problem with vista, i also ran AVG and that also did the same due to another application taking place. I got that fed up with vista, i got rid and installed windows 7. Windows 7 is so much better and more use friendly. But to answer you question Aaron, i couldn't find a way to sort the problem.

I can't stand Windows 7, I find it tries to hard to solve problems that don't really exist!

Thanks Walkers, I'll have a go in a bit.

it could be a virus or spyware blocking the install.

1. Disable system restore (as if it is a virus prob hides in their so it can re activate its self)
2. Reboot to clear the restore points
3. Try again
4. If fails boot to safe mode with networking, start the windows installer service and try installing it from safe mode

Just to add to that, either go back to xp or go up to win 7, i class vista as a virus its self.

I can't stand Windows 7, I find it tries to hard to solve problems that don't really exist!

As opposed to Vista which is just a problem in itself:)

lol, how true! an object lesson in how, not to make, an OS.

@OP. when you try to shut down. is there a shield symbol on one of the buttons. often, with vista, you need to shut down using that. before the updates are completed. now i am sure you already know that,but its worth asking just in case.

Vista is fine for me :)

I tried what Walkers said and it worked. Thanks for replying though :good:

Aaron.

its true, some find Vista ok. just the rest of us, just, wanted something that worked. and it does, now, its called windows 7!

Try this link to manually update, then see if the problems been solved and it kicks back into updating automatically.
https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToMSE.aspx

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back