Can't find albino Giant Danio anywhere.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
In other parts of the country are they as hard to get here near San Francisco? Haven't seen them in years when they were as common as dirt 20 years ago or less.

Giant danios have become uncommon in a lot of places. I haven't seen them for years here.

We have regular (non albino) giant danios up here in Seattle occasionally at petco. I haven’t seen them in the last 8 or so months. I just rehomed mine

We've been getting the normal ones at our store here recently. Seems like a constant for us now

Could it be there is no albino variaty of this fish ?

Could it be there is no albino variaty of this fish ?
Very possible.
I don't understand why you would want albino but I suppose its just not for me lol
Let me try googling them and seeing what comes up

So I looked them up and was looking at different images but there was only a few actual albino ones. So I don't think that these guys are common at all...

Maybe just misnamed...but....

The golden giant danio is sometimes known as a partial albino giant danio, so perhaps they get misnamed more often than not
Yah thats one of the results I saw... Not much else on the web surprisingly

Over the years, I've found some of the 'sports', the popular mutated forms of fish, to come and go. If a breeding line goes wrong, you can always go back to nature (if it hasn't been destroyed) but then you have to start the lines all over again. When I think of how many once common livebearer types would be fun to see again, or how many one off imports of mutated fish have shown up in stores only to vanish... sometimes they are just too cheap for the farms to bother with the extra culling needed to keep them on a market that is looking for other things.

So I looked them up and was looking at different images but there was only a few actual albino ones. So I don't think that these guys are common at all...
I don't find a single albino one.

Over the years, I've found some of the 'sports', the popular mutated forms of fish, to come and go. If a breeding line goes wrong, you can always go back to nature (if it hasn't been destroyed) but then you have to start the lines all over again. When I think of how many once common livebearer types would be fun to see again, or how many one off imports of mutated fish have shown up in stores only to vanish... sometimes they are just too cheap for the farms to bother with the extra culling needed to keep them on a market that is looking for other things.
Only thing albinism isn't a "mutated" variaty, occures in the wild and is a completely natural phenomanon. Survivalrates in the wild are low of course which is the reason they are so rare

Only thing albinism isn't a "mutated" variaty, occures in the wild and is a completely natural phenomanon. Survivalrates in the wild are low of course which is the reason they are so rare
All of the mutations we linebreed happen naturally. It's they are manipulated that make the commercial fish.
There's a higher chance of being able to restart an albino line because it does show up more.
I have had a couple of xanthic mutations among the thousands of fish I've bred, but no albino 'sports'. I imagine the scale of a fish farm's operations gives them a way wider sample. They can restart lines if they see a demand.

The gene spliced creatures are a whole other game, but albino danios were around when I was a teenager. That's an old one.

They used to be as common as the normal colored Danios and didn't even cost much more if that. My LFS guy said they are like hens teeth these days.

Blake on youtube just got an aquarium the same size as mine and plans on going Rainbows,barbs and loaches- same as me from four years ago now. They make an active,colorful and peaceful aquarium. Try them.

All of the mutations we linebreed happen naturally. It's they are manipulated that make the commercial fish.
There's a higher chance of being able to restart an albino line because it does show up more.
I have had a couple of xanthic mutations among the thousands of fish I've bred, but no albino 'sports'. I imagine the scale of a fish farm's operations gives them a way wider sample. They can restart lines if they see a demand.

The gene spliced creatures are a whole other game, but albino danios were around when I was a teenager. That's an old one.
Sorry Gary but I lost you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back