Canister Vs. Power Filter Hang On

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
Ok so i'm setting up a 55 gal tank with sand few live plants 2 BN plecos or 2 Rubbernose not sure what ones yet. 2 Blue acaras 7 blackskirts maybe some cory cats .

What filter would be best and why. I like my aquaclear that I have in my 36 gal. I'm thinking canister this time but what are some pros and cons of the 2 ?

What flow rate should I look for? I'm thinking 300gph.
 
Canisters generally have more room for media and don't have to be cleaned as often (but are more trouble when you do clean them). They are also generally a lot quieter. HOBs are simpler to clean andbecause you usually clean them more often probably come closer to giving you the actual gph turnover rate that the manufacturer states.

300 gph would work. That would give you about 5x per hour. Certainly not any extra there but would work as long as you don't stock too heavily.
 
I think HOB have a stronger current, and they are cheaper. I LOVE AquaClears, I would just buy a few of them.
 
for a 55g tank, i would suggest getting an aquaclear110. you could probably get away with an ac70, but the 110 is a much better choice for the 55g.
 
Canister filters do have an advantage in that you can customize the filter media to suit your needs. You can alter the amounts of physical/chemical/bio media based on your tank's contents. They also can end up cheaper than you'd expect in the long run because you can use alternate items for physical media, such as scrubbie pads, whereas HOB filters may be harder to fit and more likely to tie you to their expensive custom media.

However, HOB filters tend to provide more gas exchange because of the spillway design. How important that is depends on the oxygen needs of your fish and whether you keep plants.
 
actually the aquaclear system provides the same amount of space for media as a comparable canister, and is completely customizable as far as your bio/mech/chem filtration regimen. in fact, you can use all the same methods as you would in a canister. also, it uses a rinseable sponge as its main source of mech filtration, which eliminates the need for expensive and ultimately inferior cartridges. but as you mentioned, you are not bound to this filtration method. you can customise the hob any way you want. you could just fill it completely with filter floss/ quilt batting, if you felt so compelled. furthermore it provides superior mechanical filtration to many similar sized canisters as it is rated for 500gph.
 
actually the aquaclear system provides the same amount of space for media as a comparable canister, and is completely customizable as far as your bio/mech/chem filtration regimen. in fact, you can use all the same methods as you would in a canister. also, it uses a rinseable sponge as its main source of mech filtration, which eliminates the need for expensive and ultimately inferior cartridges. but as you mentioned, you are not bound to this filtration method. you can customise the hob any way you want. you could just fill it completely with filter floss/ quilt batting, if you felt so compelled. furthermore it provides superior mechanical filtration to many similar sized canisters as it is rated for 500gph.

Couldn't have said it better myself
 
The choice is clear... AQUA clear. :good:

:shout:
Lol. Hahahaha
I should make a coMmercial.



But jokes aside, I just did a side by side comparison in another thread yesterday. I'm posting from my phone right now so linking will be a pain. Ill add the link when I get home from work.


Ac110 FTW!¡!¡
 

Most reactions

Back
Top