Canister on 10 gallons

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NLindsey921

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the right spot. If not, please move it.

Is it possible to use a canister filter on a ten gallon tank? If yes what kind would you guys recommend?

I believe I need more filtering power on my ten gallon gourami and neon tank. All I have right now is a cheap little top fin hob filter and I'm really starting to dislike it. I want to replace it with a canister filter. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Something like this
https://zoomed.com/nano-10-external-canister-filter/

Why HOB's are great.

I have a Pisces Laboratories Sh200 Slim Hanging Filter on a 15 gallon and would recommend them to anyone. They are silent have adjustable flow. If you look closley you will see mine is full of media.
https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/...atories-slim-hanging-filter-sh200-45l-180l-hr
But mine is ugly and unless I have the water level all the way up underneath it, it's loud.
It's also difficult to clean out and it collects stuff at the bottom where the current isn't strong enough to push it into the filter cartridge. Plus cartridges are a pain in the rear. They only last a month and then have to be replaced.

I want to be able to hide it easily.

But mine is ugly and unless I have the water level all the way up underneath it, it's loud.
It's also difficult to clean out and it collects stuff at the bottom where the current isn't strong enough to push it into the filter cartridge. Plus cartridges are a pain in the rear. They only last a month and then have to be replaced.

what kind of filter do you have now?

A top fin silenstream 10.
It has a little thing on the top supposedly to tell me the filter is dirty but it don't work for crap.
ba20d6dc1cb7102dee823a36c6dc6147.jpg

don't buy their filter inserts, make your own, and only use foam, no charcoal needed

you can buy universal foam/sponge that you can cut to size your filter, or buy a foam insert for an Aquaclear 300 and cut that foam to size......one foam insert like that should last you 2 years or more......i have some that are 5 years old!!!

Yeah but if I turn the flow all the way down then it's useless. If I turn it up high enough to do anything it agitates my dwarf gourami. He stays at the front swimming back and forth instead of swimming around the tank.

You may not understand filtration, or have been misled into thinking it needs to be more than it does.

The filter in the link in post #7 is way too much for a 10g. The Zoomed nano 10 filter Nick linked in post #2 (the first link, not the HOB) would be one option. But the sponge filter (foam filter) mentioned by mikey in post #3 is probably the best option. I have a sponge filter in all may smaller tanks, from a 10g up to a 40g.

Water flow is caused by the filter, and this does affect fish. You mention your gourami not appreciating this, and that is exactly the problem. Many fish come from quiet waters, often flooded forest for half the year. When forced into tanks with strong currents, they are under stress and must work harder just to manage. This wears them down, literally, and weakens them. Gourami and neon tetras are in this category. From their perspective, no filter would be preferable, and while this is workable with live plants and a balanced fish load it might not be advisable here. You have largish fish for a 10g. But a single sponge filter connected to a small air pump is still going to provide about the best filtration possible in this small a tank.

Yeah but if I turn the flow all the way down then it's useless. If I turn it up high enough to do anything it agitates my dwarf gourami. He stays at the front swimming back and forth instead of swimming around the tank.

a cannister filter is going to increase the water flow from what you have, so your gourami still wont be happy, a cannister filter will turn your tank into a whirlpool

go with the foam filter....it is cheap as heck but very effective and literally lasts a lifetime.....rinse it every 2-3 months and is like new....and it wont create strong currects

Like I said in the original post "is it possible" the stuff you say convinces me it is not. Maybe when I get a larger tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back