Cancer / Tumor

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fisherydooda

Reaction score
Hi, my butterfly telescope has a white tumor on her back fin. It started off small, and some advised to leave it alone unless it was harming her. So I left it alone for about 4 months, but now I am coming to the sad conclusion that it will not stop growing.
I am not sure if it is possible or even wise to attempt to carefully surgically cut it out, as I have never dealt with tumors or growths before. I don't want to cut it away but then her bleed out, but on the other hand if I let it grow any more then it is going to consume her tail.. I could really use advice from someone who has resurched this or had experience.

I attached are pictures. 20211118_164410.jpg20211118_164417.jpg20211118_164407.jpg20211118_164534.jpg20211118_164429.jpg

Hey :)
It could be cyst, tumor, fibromas.... Hard to help with so few infos.
How long did it take to grow this size ?
What are water parameters : ammonia, nitrites, nitrates ? Incidentally GH (hardness), KH (alkalinity) and pH ? Temperature ? Tank settings ?
If you want to surgically remove this "thing" go and see a vet.

Hey :)
It could be cyst, tumor, fibromas.... Hard to help with so few infos.
How long did it take to grow this size ?
What are water parameters : ammonia, nitrites, nitrates ? Incidentally GH (hardness), KH (alkalinity) and pH ? Temperature ? Tank settings ?
If you want to surgically remove this "thing" go and see a vet.
Hi, I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately there are no fish vets in my area. I was hoping for some help from someone who had a bit of experience or knowledge in surgically removing these. I am very confident that this is a tumor, either cancerous or benign. She has had it for about 5 months and it has grown rapidly. I really just need advice on surgery. :)

Blurk, gross.

You could tie a piece of string around the base of the tumour and that can reduce the blood flow to it and cause it to die and drop off. It doesn't always work but might. The string means you don't do any cutting, you simply do it up tight and if it loosens over time, tighten it until it drops off.

Blurk, gross.

You could tie a piece of string around the base of the tumour and that can reduce the blood flow to it and cause it to die and drop off. It doesn't always work but might. The string means you don't do any cutting, you simply do it up tight and if it loosens over time, tighten it until it drops off.
That sounds like it might work. How tight does the string have to be? Would it cause any pain to the fish? On esimate how long does the tumor take to fall out?

You do the string up so it is starting to pull the base of the tumour in. The idea is to try and cut off the blood supply to the tumour. A bit like putting a rubber band around your finger and it turns blue.

The fish won't like it and do feel it but after a few days there is less pressure on it and they act more normally.

It takes about a month or so for it to drop off but you need to make sure it is tight

In any case, can you answer the questions asked ?

You do the string up so it is starting to pull the base of the tumour in. The idea is to try and cut off the blood supply to the tumour. A bit like putting a rubber band around your finger and it turns blue.

The fish won't like it and do feel it but after a few days there is less pressure on it and they act more normally.

It takes about a month or so for it to drop off but you need to make sure it is tight
Thank you for explaining. I'll try to do this method, although I'm afraid the shape of the tumor is in a weird way where one side might not be completely tightend. I will try to make it work. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

In any case, can you answer the questions asked ?
I appreciate you trying to help but iv already posted on 4 different forums with this information and the tumors info. I know there is no problem with my water parameters. I have really just been looking for ways to remove tumors. I do appreciate your help though.

I appreciate you trying to help but iv already posted on 4 different forums with this information and the tumors info. I know there is no problem with my water parameters. I have really just been looking for ways to remove tumors. I do appreciate your help though.
It's up to you.
At least, anesthetize him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back