Can you use Ocean Water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a coworker who loves my office because of my tiny fishtank on my desk... Anyways, he wants to know if you can just use water from the beach for a salt tank. I told him that I didnt know, but I dont think it would be a good idea. I was wondering what you guys think of this idea.... :no: :nod:

From what ive heard it is generaly not a good Idea to use ocean water. One, because it could have parasites, and two, if you lived in a residential area they might have many polutants in the water. though if he treated the water through a UV sterilizer for a few days before putting it in the tank, I'd say go for it. but the only thing is UV sterilizers are kind of expenive.

FrankWhatever is right, you don't want to use ocean water, too many risks involved. But tell your coworker not to worry salt isn't that expensive neither is water ;)

Natural seawater, (NSW), is available at many larger reef stores. Some insist that this is the way to insure that you get the correct amount of dissolved rare minerals found in the ocean. However, I don't know where it is collected to ensure it is free of pollutants.

I would dissagree with all the above comments. I dont know what the (NSW) products are like over there but in OZ my fish prefer water taken from the beach, if you find a good spot for water collection it is far better because it already has the good bacteria in it.

Its up to you but my marine tank thrives on natural seawater

B)

Yes, I saw somewhere that if you live near the beach, you have a "ready supply of cycled saltwater for your aquarium". And by the way, if it can be done with saltwater, can't it be done with freshwater? or is that a totally different thing?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back