Can You Tell Me About Your Emperor Tetras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I have 2 males 3 females. ranging from 2"-3". one smaller male is very active chases the females around swims exploring never stays still. the 3" Male never moves he just sits and looks pretty if a female comes close he will show off a bit. The females don't do much they hang around and watch. They never school. i know 5 is not a big school.

My tank might not be the best for them. I don't have much plant cover for them I have a good amount of tall grass like plants that need to fill in and grow. These guys can hold there own with my cichlid my larger male scared off my EBJD once.

This is the set up for now I will be getting a 100 gal for my Cichlids when they get bigger.
55 gal
7 red eye tetras
5 Emperor tetras
1 Severum 3"
1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey 3"
1 Blue acara 3"
1 rubbernose pleco
1 BN pleco

I would say it i s well planted but needs to grow in.

Is this normal behaviour?
How do yours act?

ps: I have only had them fora week.

Well to day i had my hand in the tank cleaning off my plant and one of the females came over and picked at my arm. So they are not scared of me and seem to be curious little fish. Yet most of the time they just sit around.

So no one keeps these fish? I was at the store today and there was one female emperor left. So I bought her home now I have 6 only 2 males.

Hi,

I have a newish group of fifteen emperors... had them a month or soo, they are really starting to colour up now. It's a species I have always admired but never purchased before due to there price. When i rescaped my tank I made my mind up to get them and as my favourite tetra species I'm not dissapointed ;)

Guess it really dipends on the number kept and also what else is in the aquarium... mine live with a mixture including a trio of Pearl gourami and they have started to school a lot more since the gourami arrived even thought they are not being chased. I have seen them mating in the large java fern and the males dance on a regular basis which is always entertaining. Sadly due to the mixed species aquarium, even if they did successfully spawn which I suspect I would never see any fry :rolleyes:

I have 6 now only 2 males. They are so funny they get around and are more active now. One of my males is still the most active. These little guys nip at my arm when I'm cleaning the tank. They can nip hard. I chase them away with my hand and they come back for more. Crazy little fish they crack me up. They are cool tetras I love them. Here they are.

c01c8821.jpg

6f530c1c.jpg

b6049e14.jpg

this is as tight as the school gets and it's not all of them.
f898d38b.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back