Can You Id This "turtle"

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

andy_j

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Was given two of these beasts last night as my mate was bored of them and they'd probably be in the local duck pond if i didn't have them.

He told me they were definately turtles....despite me protesting that they really looked like red eared terrapins.

So if anyone could ID them, it would be nice.

Oh...and if anyone wants them for free, they're welcome to them if they can provide the correct conditions for them (I live near Brighton, UK)

Thanks

Andy

100_0850.jpg

could be red earred sliders too. I'm not real good with turtles though so don't take my word for it.

yep i would suggest its a red ear. it is actually listed as a turtle, with terrapin in brackets. it may be that the term "terrapin" is used for turtles native to the US, just a guess that though.

Red Ear Slider
Chrysemys Scripta Elegans (used to be Trachemys)

That is a lovely male you have there; the long claws give him away easy!

Actually here we call them turtles.
There is only one terrapin, which are Diamondback Terrapins who are brackish water turtles.
But it's all in who uses what terms for what. For you it's terrapin - which doesn't makes sense to me, "terra" is earth, turtles live mostly in the water. It'd make sense with a box turtle, cos they're a more earthy turtle :p

Thanks everyone. We have an animal rescue place up the road that has loads of them which are really cared for well....i shall ask if they want them as i don't have the equipment to look after them properly.

Thanks everyone. We have an animal rescue place up the road that has loads of them which are really cared for well....i shall ask if they want them as i don't have the equipment to look after them properly.
you could offer them here to any members, use the for sale section, if there are no takers, drop it to them to the rescue place.

Um, how small is he? I don't think you can identify gender at his age, I've had them for like 4 years, I'd know :good:
You're not keeping him? They're really sturdy, and I let mine come into the fish tank and it didn't do ANY harm!:)

Um, how small is he? I don't think you can identify gender at his age, I've had them for like 4 years, I'd know :good:
You're not keeping him? They're really sturdy, and I let mine come into the fish tank and it didn't do ANY harm!:)

It really is definitely a male as Buslady has said, it wouldnt have the long claws if it was still immature or if it was female so the conclusion is clear ;)

:good:

At least by 4 years old you should have an sub-adult red ear slider. This one pictured is clearly a male. At the size of 4" SCL you can positively ID their sex.
I have raised 4 RES, bred Painted Wood Turtles, rescued a handful of RES & adopted them out, kept a Russian tortoise pair, and presently also have a spotted and reeves turtle. All this in the time of about 5 years.
Putting your turtle in a fish tank can do some harm, if he learns how tasty the fish are.

They're really sturdy, and I let mine come into the fish tank and it didn't do ANY harm!:)
:S mine acidentally escaped into my fish tank once i was cleaning his tank out and set up a trap for him for the time being in my fish tank god lnly knows how he did it but next thing i know he is chasing my gourmie looking hungry :S

Most reactions

Back