Can tank "overhang" an inch on each side over shortish stand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a 29g tank, size 30 x 12 x 18 (inches).

Currently I have it on top of a sturdy TV stand and I'm looking to get a tank stand, however the one I found is 27 inches long.

So the question is whether this tank could safely sit on this stand with 1 or 1.5 inches "hanging out" on each side?

Thank you in advance

technically yes, (if sturdy )(which you've concluded) if you evenly balance the ends. I have a similar dilemma with my frog palidurium, the table isn't long enough so the ends hang off the table. I'm sitting right next to it as I type, and it's fine.

Rimless, hmm. With a frame, I've done it with no issue. But a piece of wood cut to size, as @Essjay suggests, can do wonders for your stress levels if you're concerned. 1/2 or 3/4 plywood is good. It isn't a huge tank.

It's got the black frames top and bottom. Is that what you meant, @Essjay ?

Thank you all

Attachments

• 20220427_151354.jpg
    20220427_151354.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 40
I would use something underneath the tank regardless of whether it has a trim or not (presumably GaryE meant flat bottom for without a trim and floating bottom for with a trim?). But I do tend to err on the side of caution as I don't want to risk soaking my carpets.

A piece of wood is safer but I can't see a failure, that is (calculating...assuming a point load ) about 8lbs cantilevered over an inch and the face/rear(ed) glass is in plane so very strong...

Last edited:
I do not understand some of the advice in this thread. The base of any aquarium should be on a solid platform. In other words, a sheet of plywood that extends beyond the tank frame on all sides, or similar. There is considerable force being exerted on the seal of the panes of glass, and not supporting the entire tank is just asking for trouble.

My 40g tank on a stand made for this tank was only 1/8 of an inch over on the two ends, so I put a sheet of plywood between the tank and the stand. This ensures the silicone seal is not likely to give.

Always sit your tank on high density polystyrene, never straight onto a solid surface.
Or use high density foam..

My 200 litre came with its own stand and a sheet of foam to be the sandwich filling tween stand and aquarium's bottom

Its never a good idea to have a stand that is under the footprint dimensions, my late dad used to ram it into my brain when I was younger.........."always go for exactly the same or at least an inch all round larger or your bottom will crack"

And since I would rather not have a cracked bottom with a puddle on the floor cos things can get very messy, I have stuck with his advice.

I had a tank overhang a little while ago and it was fine, but mine was only small lol

I'll be a devil's advocate here - my fishroom has a bank of 20 gallon tanks I use for rearing young fish. They are end out - narrow end facing the eye, and have been set up like that for 25 years (not all are 25 years old though! Most are 10 plus). This is the 3rd room they've been in, but the stand design has been the same - there are overhangs front and back, 3 inches each way. They sat on 2x4 or 2x6 bars, and the actual frame to wood contact was only about 4 inches total. In my new set up, I had some scrap 3/4 plywood 18 inches wide that I screwed into the beams for added support. So those tanks have sat on wood for most of their length for the past few weeks.

I have never had a leak or a tank failure from any of these racks.

They have always been on cement floors though. If they were on wooden floors that moved even slightly from people walking around the room I would support every inch of frame.

I have the same set up for my 10 gallon killie tanks, although they sit on stryrofoam because not all have frames. Again, no seam splits, no shattered glass. no water loss.

Anything above 25 gallons gets full frame support, but every tank I have ever had fail (A too old 75 and 2 33 gallon tanks in the last 40 years of running 15-50 tanks) has been on a traditional stand. The 33s had a manufacturing defect (poor siliconing).

Don't do this at home? If your floor is solid, unbending and not on beams, why not? In a family room, 3/4 plywood may not be as cheap as it was, but it is a useful investment.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back