Can Someone Helpful Person Maybe Answer A Few Questions?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

magical trevor

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Basically I dont understand lighting the only thing I do get is the diffrence in size between the T5 T8 and T12,
Can someone explain like I'm five the kind of basics for what type of light (in a T8 size) I would need in my tank (4foot 246L) to promote good plant growth but not be excessivly bright itll scare my fish? Im not heavily planting the tank eather just want good healthy plants

I'm wanting to challenge my self with growning plants but I want it to be succesful. Im going to set up a pressurized Co2 setup but thats a later date. Funds are limited at the moment due my up coming wedding so Im buying bulbs first. I have two naff bulbs in my hood each bulb has one of the round starters that are in fluorescent strip lamps there T8 size but thats all I know. Ive read pages and pages of stuff on lights but I still dont get it :( can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide that will teach me to understand or take the time to explain like I'm a child what I should be looking for?? Thanks in advance

Ok so there are two things on lights that you need to know one is how many (watts) it takes. What's are the amount of power the bulb consumes the lower the wattage the lower the power consumption.
For example, when a light bulb with a power rating of 100 watts is turned on for one hour, the energy used is 100 watt per hour.

This next thing is what you will need to pay attention to if you want to grow plants. They are called kelvins and they represent at what intensity of light the bulb gives off.
On the bulb it will say something like 4000 k that stands for 4000 kelvinse.
The lower the kelvin the yellower the light and the higher the kelvin the bluer the light.
When you research plants it will tell you at what kelvins they grow best so research all your plants and find out at what kelvin they will grow best and then buy lights accordingly.
I hope this explains some of what you wanted to know lights are a very hard thing to grasp and it's taken me years to actually understand all the nuances of there working. If you have any more questions or want me to exspalen something farther let me know :)

2x T8's with reflectors - get a colour to suit your fish. You'll be able to leave them on quite a while too without any algae issues. (No CO2)
4x T8's is what I had back in the day, but you'll not be able to have them on for much more than 6hrs or so without algae/CO2 issues
The temperature will probably be 6500-10,000K but up to you. Don't waste money on 'plant' bulbs.

IMO

I'm wanting to challenge my self with growning plants but I want it to be succesful. Im going to set up a pressurized Co2 setup but thats a later date. Funds are limited at the moment due my up coming wedding so Im buying bulbs first.
My advice would be to stick with the lights you've got, wait until you have the funds for CO2 and only then consider upgrading your lighting.

Every newbie makes the same mistake, including me - we concentrate on lights first and then start to worry about carbon when the algae explodes. If you're smarter than me then you'll learn about CO2/liquid carbon and ferts first - lights come last!

Read through the website eaglesaquariums posted lots of information but helpful to me so thank you.

Thank you RRaquariums for your explanation I understand more than I did kind of lol.

SO19firearms I will most likey be keeping it twin T8 as I think 4 would make it to bright for me to have on as a backround light in the living room, thank you but 6500 being a minimum 10000 being a maximum is that correct? Would it be best to get matching bulbs or two diffrent this is the bit I'm having difficulty with, I mean if I run say a t8 thats 6500k and another bulb (for arguments sake) 10000k does that overall mean I have 16500kelvinse in my tank? So If want to get a nice even 8000k Id need to buy two 4000k?? Does that sound silly?

daizeuk thank you, ive read up on the Co2 and Ive decided that I'm going to go pressurized I bought a cylinder from a local drinks vending company its 19inches in size so its a bit on the big side but it should last many years, the Mrs told me I wasnt allowed to use a fire extinguisher unless I was putting out a fire. And your saying that I should set this up first and plant my tank before looking into bulbs?

Its helpful to know theres always a forum of like minded individuals who are willing to help so thanks.

Glad it helped... there's a wealth of knowledge there, and some good 'ole fashioned simply wisdom...  They say it better than I could condense it.

On the 6500K and 10000K bulbs.. no.  They don't 'add up' like that.  It would produce an 'average' of the two and the intensity at different frequencies would be different than either bulb, and they would add up, but the overall effect wouldn't be '16500K'.  

(I don't think I explained that well, but using two different 'temperature' bulbs can be nice to give you a wider spectrum of light - some plants appreciate that, and some fish will display slightly better colors that way.)

magical trevor said:
And your saying that I should set this up first and plant my tank before looking into bulbs?
It's a good idea to replace your bulbs if they're a year old. My personal preference is 6500K daylight bulbs, I feel this is the best colour temperature to bring out the greens of plants.

Yeah then Maybe its time to change I've had my tank for maybe 3 or 4 years and I've not changed my bulbs.......ever

And they probably haven't been changed in a few years prior to me buying it, so yeah they're pretty old. Well now I know.

So I'll look into getting bulbs and reflectors hopefully soon. I understand that I should be setting up the Co2 first but I want to start collecting all the pieces before setting it all up. Thank you for all your help. I wouldn't say I know as much as I should regarding bulbs but thanks to all you lots help I know more than I did and understand the basics :)

cheers!

Don't get too caught up on k ratings for bulbs...plants do not care what k rating they have. As Daize states up there ^^^ it's about preference...I personally like 2x 9000k, this is because it makes my greens look crisp.
Heres a good link

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/lighting.htm

Yeah, I should have put that better. The temp you will pick will be between 6500 and 10,000. Like Ian you might gof or 9000 for example. Basically get what you think looks best.*
I also believe that bulbs being a year old is a myth - again if you look at your tank and think "That looks pap"...then change them.

*Somewhere on the net there's an even more comprhensive set of bulb pics than James' planted tank and I absolutely cannot find it :'(

Yeah, I replace the bulbs if the plants don't look up to par and it's been a while, rather than at a year.

New bulbs is always a challenge with the sudden change in light if you're replacing very old tubes as well, I've seen many people get algae bursts by upgrading lights that were already sufficient.

I'm with Ian's preference and tend to run my tanks around the 9-10,000 K mark.

SO19Firearms said:
I also believe that bulbs being a year old is a myth - again if you look at your tank and think "That looks pap"...then change them.
Apparently the quality and intensity of light starts to deteriorate after 12 months, humans can't tell but the plants notice the difference... or perhaps that's a myth propagated by bulb manufacturers who want more sales
tongue2.gif

daizeUK said:
or perhaps that's a myth propagated by bulb manufacturers who want more sales
tongue2.gif
wink.png

Our plants are essentially weeds, they really are - they'd grow under a candle if you sing to them......

daizeUK said:
Apparently the quality and intensity of light starts to deteriorate after 12 months, humans can't tell but the plants notice the difference... or perhaps that's a myth propagated by bulb manufacturers who want more sales :p
They do, but it's negligible on par readings. Par is what's important to our plants.

Most reactions

Back