Can Shrimp Survive Out Of Water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aaronnorth

www.ukaps.org
Reaction score
If they can, how long would the survive? I would'nt take mine out though, to much money to lose if something did go wrong and it isn't fair on them, but i was asking incase they escaped somehow like through the small gap i have in hood or when i am doing maintenance. I was wondering if they were like snails? I have RCS.

I don't think shrimps can survive too long out of water since they breathe through their gills. If the water dries out from their gills, then....:rip: ..... As far as I know, an apple snail has both a gill and a lung. Hence, they can survive a considerably long time out of water. Don't know whether the same anatomy applies to other aquatic snails though :p

some shrimp can survive out of water for a little while but they must be kept moist and there must be lots of humidity in the air. They are often found tangled up in seaweed after storms. Many crayfish and crabs are transported in boxes with a small amount of water in the bottom and they survive for several days like that. However the logn term side effects of this are still to be discovered as most crustaceans transported this way get cooked.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back