Can Piranhas Live With Anyother Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
hello

sorry for the delayed reply.. yeh the tank in the sig will be used... i will be getting 5-6 baby RBP.... once they get a little bigger i plan to move them onto something between 300-350 litre tank... dont think i could live with the worry of having anything in with them.. not worth the hassle..

hello

sorry for the delayed reply.. yeh the tank in the sig will be used... i will be getting 5-6 baby RBP.... once they get a little bigger i plan to move them onto something between 300-350 litre tank... dont think i could live with the worry of having anything in with them.. not worth the hassle..

300 litres would be the minimum for 4 adults, a rough guide is 75g for 4 then an extra 20g for each additional fish so your looking at around a 125g tank for a comfortable tank size for 6 adults.

Couldnt be bothered to read all whats been said but guys, take it easy :good:

Yes piranhas have been kept with other fish before but they can last hours,days or years, but generally, in the aquarium sizes we can realistically have at home, its not big enough to cohab piranhas with other species and majority of the time ends in disaster.

You could argue the point of putting serrasalmus species together as rhoms are known to go into loose shoals in the wild but you wouldnt do that in a tank because 75g or whatever isnt the wild.

The end of the day if you want piranhas, buy piranhas and if you want something else then get another tank or forget the piranhas, that simple.

just a quick update... i have 4 baby piranhas at about 3-4 cms from mouth to tail...
they are feeding wel but hide alot... im currently on the hunt for some more wood to provide more cover...

i did have 5 piranhas but i went out in the evening only to find one piranha floating with half of its body eaten :-(

quick question.. chap at the fish store told me to feed them once every hour... now this isnt viable for me to do as i am not home 24/7 but how often should i be feeding them.

feed babies a small amount as often as you can. Keep an eye on how fast they eat the food you put in there. once they are bigger you can go to less/larger feedings. Get as many hiding spots as you can lol

Kyle

Once an hour?!

Usually for juveniles you want to be feeding 3-4 times a day, personally I think more than 4 is overfeeding and not good for your water quality.

Have you dimmed your lighting? Bright lights will also make your reds skittish and less comfortable, more cover will be better for them until they grow and become more bold :)

they are successfully mixed in home aquariums, so strictly speaking it can, has, and is being done.
i aint about to argue with you pal, its fact.

again. NO.
thats like saying, because people keep goldfish in a .5g bowl, that it "can" be done. "so strictly speaking it can, has, and is being done."
does that mean it should be? NO

only the poorly informed would practice such a ridiculous thing as keeping exodons and piranha together.
and only a hard headed unintelligent person would continue to suggest it after they have been told time and time again that it is not a good idea.

is it possible? absolutely. fact of the matter is, you could put ANYTHING in your piranha tank. you could put your puppy in there if you wanted.
is it a bad idea. absolutely. as stated exodons are a food source for P's in the wild in many places, and though they are usually quick enough to outrun the P's in a tank, its just a matter of time before the piranhas or the exodons are dead.

unless you have kept them together FOR LIFE (thats over 8 years for exodons), then you have absolutely no "facts" that they "can" be kept together. just because they arent dead yet does not mean they "can" be kept together for life. and i have yet to meet one person who has had exodons with piranhas successfully for over 8 years.

stop giving out poor information to people seeking facts. its not helping them, and it is only making you look more foolish. :good:

quick update... The Ps are getting very big.. more then doubled there size since i have had them. which is just under 2 months...

i put a danio in there as i thought it would be good for them to hunt. but they take no notice of the fish.. and the danio has been in there for nearly 2 weeks now..

quick update... The Ps are getting very big.. more then doubled there size since i have had them. which is just under 2 months...

i put a danio in there as i thought it would be good for them to hunt. but they take no notice of the fish.. and the danio has been in there for nearly 2 weeks now..

any new pics of yours pal?

I get 10 babies on Wednesday morning if the fish shop finally get them in , they let me down last week

2 weeks is nothing, some fish are there for weeks, or months, but eventually they get eaten.

Yep, thats the joy of keeping piranhas and many or most other predatory fish. Sometimes tankmates are fine for months, even years, then one day you wake up to a fish that is bitten in half.

And btw, what are you planning to do with the p's when they grow up? If all 4 make it and you wind up keeping them all, I can almost guarantee aggression/dead fish issues.

Im guessing theres already a thread on live fish as food, but in the right conditions, I can't see how it is cruel. Only as cruel as feeding fish live brineshrimp =/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back