Can Ich Do Permanent Damage?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I'm hopefully at the end of a marine ich breakout. My rusty angelfish had a few spots on/around her eyes. She had some trouble catching food. She would swim right up to it, and try to grab it but she would be a little off. I figured the parasite was still obstructing her vision. Now she has no visable signs of it (for the past 48 hrs), and she still does that. She's eating plenty, just takes her a bit longer. Has there been permanent damage, or are there still tiny parasites that I can't see? Could this not even be related? I wouldn't think so, because she didn't have this problem before the ich.

I'm hopefully at the end of a marine ich breakout. My rusty angelfish had a few spots on/around her eyes. She had some trouble catching food. She would swim right up to it, and try to grab it but she would be a little off. I figured the parasite was still obstructing her vision. Now she has no visable signs of it (for the past 48 hrs), and she still does that. She's eating plenty, just takes her a bit longer. Has there been permanent damage, or are there still tiny parasites that I can't see? Could this not even be related? I wouldn't think so, because she didn't have this problem before the ich.

im havin this problem too right now.. but i believe that they turn back into another wierd stage and burrow in your sand.. after a week later they come back and latch onto your fish with PLENTY more!! i have no idea how to kill this ich without harming my LR and inverts!!! i only have a 10 gal tank too, that wont fit an angel a butterfly or a tang!!

hope thiis helps!

Are you ruunning a UV sterilizer as this will no doubt help with battling ich, basically it will kill anything off in the water itself and will help reduce the chances of it coming back, its not a quick resolve but it is effective.

What sort of tank do you have reef FO FOWLR?

if it's a small tang/angel, you could qt it in the 10 gallon for a bit.

Ich lifecycle is about a month, 3 weeks if you raise the temp, but this is hard to do with inverts in the tank.

Put the fish in qt and lower the SG slowly to 1.009, this will cause the ich to burst and die.

Well, I'm at the end of my second week of dealing with the ich. My rusty angel, damsel, and one of my clarkii clowns had it. I found out my nitrates were nearly off the charts - about 100 (I still have yet to figure out how that happened). Anyway, the three fish that had symptoms were hard to catch. They were very good at hiding in the rocks, and I was affraid if I tried too much, it would put undue stress on them. So, I decided to treat them in the main tank, not ideal I know. I have no corals, and for inverts I just have snails, one hermit crab, and two urchins (which showed no signs of stress in these high nitrates, which I don't understand that either). So, I found a method of feeding metronidizole to fish, and also read that a micron filter cartridge can do almost as good of a job as a UV sterilizer, so I ran that in my filter. Per my lfs, I fed the metronidizole to the fish, and added it directly to my tank. They told me to only do that for five or six days since the medication, long term, might do damage to the fishes liver (I think they said liver....it was some kind of organ lol)...anyway, after the fifth day I stopped since it looked like the ich was gone from everyone. Meanwhile, I've been doing tons of WC to get my nitrates down (now they are almost to 40). Um, what was your question again? lol oh right...my tank is FOWLR with some inverts. :)

I know my treatmen of ich isn't ideal, but I'm hoping it worked. Obviously my main problem was the water quality, and I'm sure that's what started this. If it does come back, I'll go the hyposalinity route. But fingers crossed.

But I guess my original question still is can ich do permanent damage to a fish's eye?

No clue on the ich affecting vision.

I guess the medication doesn't have copper in it then?

For nitrates, make sure you use the same tube everytime. I found that i'd get a false reading if I used a different tube (for instance, one I had previously used for pH). Other than that, maybe some inverts died that you didn't notice to cause nitrates?

Nope, no copper in the medication. I've heard of other people using this in tanks with inverts with no side effects, but they also stayed on the low end of the recommended dosing...I dosed the max. recommended. Again, not the ideal way to go about treating ich.

As far as the nitrates, I got a second opinion and had my lfs test it, and they got the same very high readings. And no invert die off that I can think of...I just have a few nerite snails, one hermit crab, and the two urchins (I also have a blue spotted puffer in this tank, so he really limits what inverts I have in there. The puffer, btw, not one single spot of ich on him during all this). All of my inverts are accounted for. There must be a reason for this nitrate overload...just wish I could figure it out so I don't put this fish through this again. :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back