can I use salt with my sharks

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
I have a rainbow shark and a redtail and a black shark. can I use a little salt in with them plus 2 plecos

can i ask why you want to use salt! plec are fresh water and not salt water! so dont use salt with them!

Plecs dont like salt ,are the sharks all in the same tank?

cat fish crazy said:
Plecs dont like salt ,are the sharks all in the same tank?
no they are in seprate tanks I have a rainbow in with my mollies and guppies i was wanting to add a little salt to thier tank i am setting up a tank for my livebearers soon. these fish all of them need something different that lady at the fs told me they would be ok together.

Well most fish can tolerate a little salt but no more than a teaspoon per 2g,this rule however does not go for any scaleless (naked) or Amazonian species which dislike any ammount of salt.IMO salt should only be used in fw set ups for medicinal purposes if you have fish that prefer a brackish set up (the livebearers) they should be kept in a seperate species tank.

This is a question that my boyfriend made me ask I told him that they cant have salt rather than argue with him I just typed in the question and let you guys tell him he trusts what you have told us so far we havent lost but 1 betta and one guppy since I have found this web site so from listening to you guys have been very rewarding results. So thanks to everyone out thier who has help me in aiding to my fishs needs.

This is a question that my boyfriend made me ask I told him that they cant have salt rather than argue with him I just typed in the question and let you guys tell him he trusts what you have told us so far we havent lost but 1 betta and one guppy since I have found this web site so from listening to you guys have been very rewarding results. So thanks to everyone out thier who has help me in aiding to my fishs needs.

petco told me to use salt it helps i dont know if the stress coat did the trick or the salt but have not lost any fish since i have a red tail shark and a rianbow shark and a sucker fish also a silver tip shark..

Most reactions

Back