Can I Use Hot Water From The Tap (in Uk)?

targa66

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NW England
I spend ages heating water for water changes b/c I've heard that I shouldn't use the water from the hot water tap here in the UK. Is that true? Is there something I can test for in the hot water from the tap??
thanks,
Shelly
 
Some people seem to think that because the hot water may sit for longer in the pipes it will pick up copper etc.

Personally I'm not too convinced and I've spoken to people that have been using water from the hot tap for years without any problems.

I think it is a bit of an old wives tale coming from the days when people still had lead pipes, header tanks and huge storage tanks in the loft that things would occasionally die in and hot water tanks where hot/tepid water would remain in all day.

Today many if not most houses have hot water on-demand just water heated straight from the cold supply, so no header tanks in the loft and no hot water hanging around at questionable temperatures, .

I still can't bring myself to fill the kettle up from the hot tap so I can see where the nay sayers are coming from.
 
just fill it up straight from the cold tap?
a slight temperature drop wont harm the fish
 
just fill it up straight from the cold tap?
a slight temperature drop wont harm the fish
Really? It's a big temp difference - the cold tap is pretty icey. I thought they would get the shimmies, esp. if you change a lot of water?
 
just fill it up straight from the cold tap?
a slight temperature drop wont harm the fish
Really? It's a big temp difference - the cold tap is pretty icey. I thought they would get the shimmies, esp. if you change a lot of water?

you shouldn't change too much anyway!! lol
 
Some people seem to think that because the hot water may sit for longer in the pipes it will pick up copper etc.

Personally I'm not too convinced and I've spoken to people that have been using water from the hot tap for years without any problems.

I think it is a bit of an old wives tale coming from the days when people still had lead pipes, header tanks and huge storage tanks in the loft that things would occasionally die in and hot water tanks where hot/tepid water would remain in all day.

Today many if not most houses have hot water on-demand just water heated straight from the cold supply, so no header tanks in the loft and no hot water hanging around at questionable temperatures, .

I still can't bring myself to fill the kettle up from the hot tap so I can see where the nay sayers are coming from.
Thanks - we do have a header tank in the loft (even tho this house is only 7 yrs. old). I may give it a try anyways.
 
funny I don't know why but I would never drink or fill kettle from hot tap either and I wouldn't use it in fish tank

couldn't tell you why though
 
if your changing up to 25% it will be fine
with some fish the temperature drop will simulate rainfall and bring on breeding
 
I wouldn't use it from the hot tap because our hot water is stored in a hot water tank and could contain copper. I always fill the bucket with cold water and then add boiled water to warm it up to roughly the same temp (felt by hand) then i add my dechlorinator. Temp only ever varies by a few degrees and never had any probs.
 
The problem is less about the hot water tank and more about the cold header tank open to many pollutants from bacteria to insects to bird farces which usually feeds the hot water tanks. This is less of an issue with combo boilers.
 
funny I don't know why but I would never drink or fill kettle from hot tap either and I wouldn't use it in fish tank

couldn't tell you why though

Funny, I'm from the States and when I first moved here unknowingly would fill up kettles or pans for cooking from the hot tap and would get shouted at for doing so... took a while b/4 anyone could tell me why!!

I wouldn't use it from the hot tap because our hot water is stored in a hot water tank and could contain copper. I always fill the bucket with cold water and then add boiled water to warm it up to roughly the same temp (felt by hand) then i add my dechlorinator. Temp only ever varies by a few degrees and never had any probs.

That's what I do but was trying to save time - with three tanks I end up heating a lot of water on the stove and just wanted to save some time running water directly from the tap. Sounds like it might not be the best idea though, esp. given we do have a tank (not a combi boiler).

Thanks all!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top