Can I use clear plastic storage containers for egg hatchery’s?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can you use the standard plastic containers to hatch eggs in such as the one I’ve attached a photo of?

Just standard clear polypropylene storage containers?

Attachments

• 6E076BAB-225A-4173-A31C-F9B6D086EA4E.png
    6E076BAB-225A-4173-A31C-F9B6D086EA4E.png
    97 KB · Views: 32
Make sure they are food safe, that is all. They are fine. I used to hatch killifish eggs in plastic containers stacked on top of each other.

Make sure they are food safe, that is all. They are fine. I used to hatch killifish eggs in plastic containers stacked on top of each other.

Awesome :) may be a stupid question but the heater can’t melt the plastic can it?

Also, I had fungus this time around, would I add something like this next time to prevent that?

Attachments

• 45518490-9A4F-4195-B767-EE610A43FE5F.png
    45518490-9A4F-4195-B767-EE610A43FE5F.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 29
Awesome :) may be a stupid question but the heater can’t melt the plastic can it?
I wouldnt worry unless the heater itself (not the suction cups) was touching the container. Even if it was I wouldnt worry TOO much

I wouldnt worry unless the heater itself (not the suction cups) was touching the container. Even if it was I wouldnt worry TOO much

So maybe put some sponge behind the heater between the heater and the plastic?

Put some gravel on the base of the container and sit the heater on that. I used mine in my fish room and the whole room was heated so I didn't have to worry.

Also, I had fungus this time around, would I add something like this next time to prevent that?
Best way to prevent diseases is to keep the water clean. Dont add stuff to a tank, especially a hatchery, to keep fungus away. Just keep it clean for the eggs and fry.
So maybe put some sponge behind the heater between the heater and the plastic?
So wait, the actual heater will he touching the plastic? Or do you just want to put it imbetween the heater and container just because?

I always remove the infertile eggs with a pin or needle. and that protects the fertile ones.
They will just flick off and drop to the base of the tank, where I would use a piece of 4mm hose to siphon them off. The other way is using a piece of 4mm hose and just suck the eggs off one by one (Be careful not to suck too hard otherwise you will swallow the egg)

Best way to prevent diseases is to keep the water clean. Dont add stuff to a tank, especially a hatchery, to keep fungus away. Just keep it clean for the eggs and fry.

So wait, the actual heater will he touching the plastic? Or do you just want to put it imbetween the heater and container just because?

Well I was going to suction cup the heater to the plastic, hence it would be touching. I was then going to put a layer of sponge just to keep it off the plastic. I had fungus with my last eggs for no apparent reason, water was clean and all parameters in check

In the olden days we used to use Methylene Blue a lot, but I think it does more harm than good, so now I prefer to just spend the time and remove the infertile eggs by hand.

Well I was going to suction cup the heater to the plastic, hence it would be touching. I was then going to put a layer of sponge just to keep it off the plastic. I had fungus with my last eggs for no apparent reason, water was clean and all parameters in check
If there is a suction cup, the suction cup should keep it lifted a bit off the surface... The main section of the heater shouldnt be touching a thing except for the suction cups...

And thats weird with the fungus

If there is a suction cup, the suction cup should keep it lifted a bit off the surface... The main section of the heater shouldnt be touching a thing except for the suction cups...

And thats weird with the fungus

Could just be unlucky, I’ll update if something goes wrong next time lol

What eggs did you plan on hatching in the containers?
Cichlid eggs should be left with their parents so the babies learn brood care and fish behaviour.

Can you use the standard plastic containers to hatch eggs in such as the one I’ve attached a photo of?
Yes for most fish but not for tetras. tetras need their eggs kept in the dark but for other types of fish, clear containers that are food safe, are fine.

I used 2 litre icecream containers with an airstone bubbling away gently..

---------------
In the olden days we used to use Methylene Blue a lot, but I think it does more harm than good, so now I prefer to just spend the time and remove the infertile eggs by hand.
Methylene Blue is the only medication you want to use on fry or eggs. It does not harm them like most other chemicals do. However, unless lots of eggs are getting fungus, just leave them or pick out the fungus ones.

What eggs did you plan on hatching in the containers?
Cichlid eggs should be left with their parents so the babies learn brood care and fish behaviour.

Yes for most fish but not for tetras. tetras need their eggs kept in the dark but for other types of fish, clear containers that are food safe, are fine.

I used 2 litre icecream containers with an airstone bubbling away gently..

---------------

Methylene Blue is the only medication you want to use on fry or eggs. It does not harm them like most other chemicals do. However, unless lots of eggs are getting fungus, just leave them or pick out the fungus ones.

It wasn’t any eggs in particular, I was just thinking that when I get the money to rearrange my tank and change out the fish, a big storage container will be much better for me, and the fish rather than my 20l tanks

Most reactions

Back