Can I put shop brought coconut in my tank ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishEs2978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So on the weekend I bought a coconut to eat and after Iā€™d peeled it I wondered if I could put it in my tank as a cave ? Iā€™ve cut it in half and made a small entrance and it has been soaking in two water for two days - the water no longer turns brown , is it ok to put it in ? Does it need to soak in anything else , are different fish ok with it ?

There is a lot of oil in the shell of a coconut - personally donā€™t risk contaminating your aquarium. False economy.

I am not sure if it is safe or not, but with it being sold to eat it may have chemicals in it to prevent pests and such while it was growing? If you really wanted to try using it, I think I have heard you can use something to get all the fuzz off, Sand it down real smooth, then boil it for a while

The only issue is if the coconut was sprayed with something to make sure it wasn't carrying any pests or diseases. If the coconuts came from your own country, they should be fine. If they were imported from overseas, they could be sprayed.

Perhaps contact your local department of agriculture and see if they treat coconuts that come into the country. If they don't then you should be fine. Just give it a wash under some warm soapy water, then rinse well and put in tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back