Can I make a walstad set up in a 1/4-1/2 gallon jar??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

jkkgron2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been looking into walstad setups recently and I decided I wanted to try one. I donā€™t have too much more space so thatā€™s why Iā€™m looking at such a small jar. Any thoughts on if thisā€™ll work? Iā€™m not planning to have any fish In the jar- maybe a few snails or shrimp, not sure. This is what Iā€™m planning on having:
Setup: 1/4 gallon jar
Organic potting soil capped with sand
A small piece of driftwood
Some malaysian trumpet snails
And some small plants

Now, I have a few questions.
1. Can I have any shrimp in that tank? If so, what kind?
2. Would small daily waterchanges be enough to oxygenate the water?
3. What plants could I add? I have another planted tank so size isnā€™t very important as long as i wonā€™t be trimming it every other day or something like that.
Thanks!

Well, you could, but i agree with NCaquatics. 1 gallon IS better. Either way, you won't really be able to add any fish or shrimp to it. Maybe some baby tadpoles, but is quite a small enclosure. ;)

could have some daphnia in there and then you've got live food for your main tank

Ok, say I managed to find a larger one thatā€™s about a gallon. What could I put in it? Like, what plants, animals, and best brand of soil?

I keep a 1 gallon jar planted native snail tank. I have it in my living room window. Its an old pickle jar lol

I keep a pair of Lymnea stagnalis snails in it. Did have ramshorns but the population crashed haha.

Could potentially keep cherry shrimp as long as you keep only males so their population doesn't explode.

I keep a 1 gallon jar planted native snail tank. I have it in my living room window. Its an old pickle jar lol

I keep a pair of Lymnea stagnalis snails in it. Did have ramshorns but the population crashed haha.

Could potentially keep cherry shrimp as long as you keep only males so their population doesn't explode.
Well, good news for me is Iā€™ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a colony in my other tank so a population boom would be awesome! I think Iā€™ll do a 1g with mts snails and cherry shrimp :) What plants do you have in there?

Well, good news for me is Iā€™ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a colony in my other tank so a population boom would be awesome! I think Iā€™ll do a 1g with mts snails and cherry shrimp :) What plants do you have in there?
Just hornwort and duckweed for me. Well. What duckweed the snails don't eat lol

The snails
20200801_163610.jpg

And most recent photo of the jar, the other day around sunset
20200811_200531.jpg

WOW!!! Thatā€™s so pretty! Iā€™m looking at 1 gallon tanks, bowls, and jars. Which would be best?
a tank would give you the clearest glass and probably more horizontal space to work with.

A bowl can give an interesting perspective from all sides.

A jar is very space happy.

Hereā€™s a picture of it, Iā€™m still waiting for the sand to settle. Maybe Iā€™ll post another pic in a few hours :) Think it looks good?
View attachment 113397
Once some plants are added, it'll look fantastic!

A bright colored cherry shrimp would look fantastic in that

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back