Can I Keep An African Dwarf Frog In This Setup?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ZephyrStarPlaties

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a male dwarf gourami, four platies and three cories. The bottom isn't excessively planted, but the plants I do have are bushy and I have a rock cave. Here are my questions:

-Would my fish harass it?
-Do I need a group of them?
-Do I have enough shelter for it?
-Do they need any sort of special food?
-Do they need the same nitrate/nitrite/Ph levels as my other fish?

Any other info is appreciated. ^_^

I have a male dwarf gourami, four platies and three cories. The bottom isn't excessively planted, but the plants I do have are bushy and I have a rock cave. Here are my questions:

The cories, being other bottom dwellers, would be a competition for space, the gourami could be nippy, and all of the fish would out compete the frog for food.

It is usually recommended to have a species only tank for the frogs to ensure they get enough food and they are much more comfortable/less stressed

The cories, being other bottom dwellers, would be a competition for space, the gourami could be nippy, and all of the fish would out compete the frog for food.

It is usually recommended to have a species only tank for the frogs to ensure they get enough food and they are much more comfortable/less stressed

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised I didn't think of those issues. Since that wouldn't work, what if I kept one with nothing but a betta?

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised I didn't think of those issues. Since that wouldn't work, what if I kept one with nothing but a betta?

Bettas are a 50/50 risk.
Again, they are a huge competition for food and some A) get along fine with the frogs, B) attack it soon after introduction C) will be peaceful for months and attack it "out of the blue"

I am a strong believer in ADF being companions with only other ADF or maybe some shrimp or a few smaller livebearers (although there is the risk of the frogs eating either one of them)

Awesome.

Generally ADF seem to be fine. You might lose one or two smaller or slow moving fish occasionally, its not unheard of. On the flipside though, i wouldnt put an ADF into a tank with fish, purely becuase of their bioload. They're almost as messy eaters as turtles etc, and would eat a big chunk of your "allowance". An ADF is going to make as much mess and waste as an average plec would, if not marginally more as an adult, and that could be taken up by a further 3-5 fish, rather than the frog.

That said, if your not fussy about having a "light" tank in terms of fish, why not!?

EDIT: On the subject of albinos, you shouldnt have to wait long hopefully. Albino C.Aeneus, (albino Bronze Cory's) are normaly the most abundant breed of Corys, and the easiest to get hold of. 3 for £10 at my local normally. Where as as you've probably noticed, things like C.Sterbai can be over £10 each.

Are you thinking of ACFs rather than ADFs? Mine only has a 1 inch long body, and no way does it poo as much as a plec. And it would be incapable of eating small fish. Fry maybe, but nothing bigger than maybe half an inch long at most and even then only if it was a long thin fry. Before you ask, yes the frog is fully grown, I've had it 19 months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back