Can I Have This As A Mini Goldfish Pond ?

daniel_2kaii9

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 29, 2009
Messages
198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hey, can i have this as a mini goldfish pond its 2 and a half foot long 2ft wide and 1 and a half foot deep

t.jpg

r.jpg

g.jpg


and how meny goldfish can i put in it ?
thanks :)
 
Where abouts do you live? If you're based in the UK then I'd say no unless you can bring the fish inside over winter. I'm pretty sure 1.5ft is too shallow for a pond (as in an all year round pond).

However it would have been big enough for 2 fancy goldfish.
 
well, its 212 litres or 56 us gallons, so you could have a few, what i understand is you can have 2 goldfish in a 40-50 gallon tank, i may be wrong though, so please correct me if im wrong
 
i live in UK south wales its not really cold here its kinda worm the goldfish ill have in there will be about 4 to 5 inch's
 
well, its 212 litres or 56 us gallons, so you could have a few, what i understand is you can have 2 goldfish in a 40-50 gallon tank, i may be wrong though, so please correct me if im wrong

as far as space goes. comets/fancy need 50uk gallons for the first  fish and 30uk for each extra fish. goldfish need closer to 80uk and 40uk per extra fish. and both need a mighty filter. they are filth fish.
 
I disagree boboboy, I think the stats you've just quoted there are for comets...not fancys. Fancys are much smaller overall.
And 40UK Gal is suitable for 2 fancy goldfish.

Other that that I completely agree...

To daniel_2kaii9...
It doesn't matter how big the fish are now, it matters what type of goldfish they are.
It is only suitable for fancy goldfish, maximum of 2.

And as said, if you're in the UK then I don't think it's suitable for goldfish unless you can bring them inside over winter. I know wales is much warmer than say...sheffield...but i'm still pretty sure its not deep enough to overwinter the fish outside
 
my dad got a bigish pond its about 1 and a half foot deep he got about 20 to 30 goldfish in there
 
Well aside from the overwintering, which is something I'm not 100% on, yes it could be used for 2 fancy goldfish.

I'm sure there will be some more pond owners around later on though who can advise you for definite. :)
 
Both fancy goldfish and regular goldfish need big tanks, fancy goldfish can get just as big (a few inches shorter due to shape but overall mass wise is often the same)IME, so boboboy is right IMO.

As mentioned though, the answers no unless you have a similar sized tank to overwinter (which would kinda defeat the purpose of using the pond) or can afford the electricity to heat it to above freezing over winter (in which case there are loads of better-suited and more interesting species anyway).

Also, bare in mind that if you were to treat it as a 50gal tank, you would need the equivalent od a big external filter and generally still need to do water changes anyway, fairly impractical for an outdoor "pond" like this.

If you wanted goldfish, you would be better of getting an indoor tank.

This thing is more suited to minnows and the like, set up as a natural tub pond, with loads of plants. Look into legally acquiring small native minnows/sticklebacks, or heat it over winter.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top