Can I Have A Single Pearl Gourami In A 27 Gallon Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I do notice my Pearls tend to hang out with each other but to be honest i really don't think they will be bothered about being kept alone. Not to mention the risk of the male becoming aggressive towards a female or just giving her too much attention in general.

A single Pearl Gourami should be fine in a 27 gallon tank. Some would even say a pair, but I wouldn't agree with them.

Great, thanks! All I want is a single larger fish so that's fine.
get a pair
smile.png
i dont agree with keeping a fish in solitude when its possible not to :)c

I meant that a 27 gallon might be too small for a single male & a single female because the male may chase the female to death. It's happened before & unfortunately will happen again. In my tank which is only slightly larger at 36 gallons, I have a pair of Pearls with a female Opaline & a female Paradise Fish. Both of the latter are more aggressive fish, but more calm because they're female. So they tend to keep the male Pearl on his toes so to speak. If I didn't have those other Gouramis I'd have at least one more female to spread out the male's aggression.

Who knows for sure, the threadstarter could always get lucky and get a perfect pair that never have a problem, but that would be unlikely.

I do notice my Pearls tend to hang out with each other but to be honest i really don't think they will be bothered about being kept alone. Not to mention the risk of the male becoming aggressive towards a female or just giving her too much attention in general.

Agreed 100%

A single Pearl Gourami should be fine in a 27 gallon tank. Some would even say a pair, but I wouldn't agree with them.

Great, thanks! All I want is a single larger fish so that's fine.
get a pair
smile.png
i dont agree with keeping a fish in solitude when its possible not to :)c

I meant that a 27 gallon might be too small for a single male & a single female because the male may chase the female to death. It's happened before & unfortunately will happen again. In my tank which is only slightly larger at 36 gallons, I have a pair of Pearls with a female Opaline & a female Paradise Fish. Both of the latter are more aggressive fish, but more calm because they're female. So they tend to keep the male Pearl on his toes so to speak. If I didn't have those other Gouramis I'd have at least one more female to spread out the male's aggression.

Who knows for sure, the threadstarter could always get lucky and get a perfect pair that never have a problem, but that would be unlikely.

Agreed 100%
so you are going to have some other species in there? i just think its a shame to single out fish. they must get lonely! lol

Bettas (which are also anabantoids) are kept alone all the time, in fact it's the preferred way to keep males or they will fight to the death. Technically a 20 gallon high is large enough for a single Pearl Gourami. A 27 gallon might be large enough for two but if you try a male & female pair the female wouldn't have enough space to escape the attention from the male which can be very aggressive with certain males. I'm afraid a 27 gallon might be too small for a male & 2 female trio given the other fish in the tank. He could try two females and skip the male..............

I keep a single Dwarf Gourami male in a 20 gallon high with a variety of other fish with no problems. I don't know if he's lonely or not but he never complains LOL. I did get 2 females for him but both died shortly after I got them. It's not like a didn't try..............

So my Gourami is annoying me a little, most of the time it wont swim around normally, it will pace up and down the glass, mostly at the front. I really like it when it is swimming around properly (ie, slowly, inspecting plants and exploring) but the majority of the time it is at the glass.

When I feed my fish it stops and comes to the surface for the freeze dried bloodworm I put in for it, but afterwards its back at the glass. I tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrates and im getting 0, 0, 10... could it be PH related? I put some Pentazona Barbs in the tank recently and they do the glass surfing too, although not as frequently.

Try adding some easy to grow type plants so he'll feel more at home. It looks like you have plastic plants in your signature and I don't see any driftwood. Also, that face could be scaring him....lol.

He could be lonely I suppose but watching him chase a female around the tank non-stop isn't better than what you have right now.

Also, my Pearl G's eat algae wafers, brine shrimp pellets, regular flake, bloodworms, etc. Try mixing up the diet a bit more.

Try adding some easy to grow type plants so he'll feel more at home. It looks like you have plastic plants in your signature and I don't see any driftwood. Also, that face could be scaring him....lol.

He could be lonely I suppose but watching him chase a female around the tank non-stop isn't better than what you have right now.

Also, my Pearl G's eat algae wafers, brine shrimp pellets, regular flake, bloodworms, etc. Try mixing up the diet a bit more.

I have 1 live plant which is a Java Fern, and in totally I have 2 pieces of real driftwood and 1 fake piece of plastic 'wood' with silk plants attached. He's a better pic:

NewAquariumlook_zps8cb7b2eb.jpg

I would be happy to put more real plants in, but what would you suggest? I dont want to have to mess around with co2 or plant fertilizer as I have shrimp and most plant ferts have copper which will kill them..

Well he spits out flake food, I tried breaking up an algae wafer and he didnt seem interested, but he readily takes the freeze dried bloodworm. I also have frozen bloodworm but as it sinks he didnt bother with it ether.

Some easy to grow plants are Anubias, Java Fern and Wisteria (Hygro Deformis) and Hygro Polysperma. Many Swords could also do well without anything more than medium lighting.

Ok sweet, thanks. One more thing though, how deep would my substrate need to be because at the moment its fairly shallow, probably not much more than 1cm.

Just about an inch or so in the front & more like 2 towards the back. Keeping the front a bit lower is supposed to make all the debris & poo settle at the lowest point where you can see it & remove.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back