Can I Have A Single Pearl Gourami In A 27 Gallon Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

serbusfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive been looking for a single fish that uses the top/middle of the tank and found I really like the pearl gourami, gouramis in general dont interest me that much but this and the opaline gourami both have interesting colouring, and ive heard the pearl is more peaceful than the opaline, so would one be ok in a 27 gallon tank?

A single Pearl Gourami should be fine in a 27 gallon tank. Some would even say a pair, but I wouldn't agree with them.

A single Pearl Gourami should be fine in a 27 gallon tank. Some would even say a pair, but I wouldn't agree with them.

Great, thanks! All I want is a single larger fish so that's fine.

Now you have to post pictures when you get him or her.

You should really up the number of Mountain Minnows & Skirts in your tank, they should be in minimum groups of 6, preferably more. Especially the Black Skirts as they tend to keep their hostilities between themselves if they're kept in larger groups.

Now you have to post pictures when you get him or her.

You should really up the number of Mountain Minnows & Skirts in your tank, they should be in minimum groups of 6, preferably more. Especially the Black Skirts as they tend to keep their hostilities between themselves if they're kept in larger groups.

Yes i'll definitely post pics
tongue2.gif

I do plan to add 2 more black skirts at least, Ive noticed one will sometimes chase away the minnows so its probably best I increase the group. The tank is new so I didnt want to increase the number of fish too much so started with the 4. I think I will keep the minnows at 5, they seem happy enough, and ive been told 5 is the recommended minimum for them.

Go for it! The gourami shouldn't bother the minnows or tetras, though they can be curious. :)

Black Skirts can be nippy though, they're the ones I was worried about. I'd slowly increase their numbers to at least 6. I really don't know much about WCM Minnows so 5 may be fine for them.

i keep 2 male dwarf Gourami in my 27 gallon tank you just have to make it heavly planted so they have hideing spaces and a lot of rock

UPDATE

Well my tank finally cycled, I went to the store to buy more Black Skirts but they were out of stock, but they did have a lot of pearls so decided to get one:

249874_10151419115745815_1496931071_n_zps7f708c55-1_zps42072595.jpg

I wanted one with a more orange than yellow underside but im still happy with him. He has only been in the tank a couple of days, I think he is still settling as he isnt eating much and sometimes paces around the glass at the front of the tank, hopefully he will settle in soon. I have a lot of algae/diatoms on my plant leaves which ive noticed he keeps picking at though :)

Very nice specimen, wait until he fully matures and you'll see the long dorsal fin & the fringes from his anal fin.

Very nice specimen, wait until he fully matures and you'll see the long dorsal fin & the fringes from his anal fin.

He still wont eat though! Its been 4 days now, I purchased some frozen bloodworm today and dropped a load in and he didnt touch any, I dont understand it :(

Gorgeous fish, I love Gouramis!
I wouldn't worry too much about his not eating, they can go at least two weeks without food. What about live foods? He looks a healthy specimen. Have you rang the lfs to see what hey fed him on? Just in case. Good luck

I bought a female months ago, and for the first week she wouldn't eat the flakes I dropped in. At the time she was the only middle-top fish in the tank, as I had only purchased my bottom feeders previously. She after about three days of not eating became very interested in the shrimp pellets and Algae wafers I dropped in for my BNP and Corys.
To this day she prefers the shrimp pellets to the flake food I drop in for my other fish; she'll only eat a certain food once other fish start eaten it, I think she's paranoid :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back