Can freshwater pipefish eat microworms?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kascopic

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon aquarium I would like to use for some thing more challenging and interesting than bettas or live bearers. I was looking at freshwater pipefish and I was wondering if they would eat microworms? And if someone could give me some information on their care If not what would be an easy and cheap food source to maintain?
If there are none, can someone suggest an interesting fish to try and keep? Iā€™ve had dwarf puffers before and would prefer to stick to freshwater species. Iā€™ve also heard about crays and frogs but they donā€™t really appeal to me. Thanks!

I have a 10 gallon aquarium I would like to use for some thing more challenging and interesting than bettas or live bearers. I was looking at freshwater pipefish and I was wondering if they would eat microworms? And if someone could give me some information on their care If not what would be an easy and cheap food source to maintain?
If there are none, can someone suggest an interesting fish to try and keep? Iā€™ve had dwarf puffers before and would prefer to stick to freshwater species. Iā€™ve also heard about crays and frogs but they donā€™t really appeal to me. Thanks!
Maybe you could keep a species of crab?

If they are captive bred pipefish then they will usually try different foods but wild caught won't touch microworms. Newly hatched brineshrimp are eaten by wild and captive bred specimens but they need variety not just brineshrimp.

Frozen (but defrosted) bloodworms with the head removed, are sometimes eaten. You need to cut the head off the bloodworms before feeding them to pipefish because they can't digest the head.

Daphnia, rotifers, cyclops, mysis shrimp, infusoria, green water and anything small can be tried.

The following link has information about culturing live foods for baby fish and these can also be fed to pipefish.

------------------------
Check with the suppliers and see if they are true freshwater pipefish or brackish (partly salt water) species. Then make up the aquarium for them (get the water chemistry correct).

Have some plants in the tank. Not too much water movement (air operated sponge filters are fine). Keep the water clean and feed them 3-5 times per day.

Some small species of goby can usually be kept with them. Peacock gudgeons (
Tateurndina ocellicauda) are small and peaceful and will be fine with the freshwater species of pipefish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back