Can anyone identify this synodontis?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone I hope your all having a great day!
Today I went to my lfs and bought a large synodontis for Ā£12.50 (bargain) but iā€™m struggling to tell which species he actually is, the only info I have on him is that heā€™s a male. Can anybody please help?

Attachments

• 7E6DB9EB-5122-46CD-8B51-94509CC1C59E.jpeg
    7E6DB9EB-5122-46CD-8B51-94509CC1C59E.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 819DE3BD-86A7-4D88-9E97-B38CF4462980.jpeg
    819DE3BD-86A7-4D88-9E97-B38CF4462980.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 138
Could be a featherfin (Syno Eupterus) but cant see if it has the feathers on the dorsal fins. There are a lot of hybrid synos around at the moment so might not be a specific species.

Wills

Could be a featherfin (Syno Eupterus) but cant see if it has the feathers on the dorsal fins. There are a lot of hybrid synos around at the moment so might not be a specific species.

Wills
Sorry about the awful picture quality iā€™ve got a better one of him now, Iā€™ve never actually owned any types of synodontis in all honesty but I loved him to pieces so I had to get him, Iā€™m only concerned about if he will actually grow any bigger than he already is because heā€™s actually pretty big.

Attachments

• A51CE25F-710B-497E-B9B4-2D6910A29842.jpeg
    A51CE25F-710B-497E-B9B4-2D6910A29842.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 64534E0A-9BA9-49EF-B178-E1241F4D5E63.jpeg
    64534E0A-9BA9-49EF-B178-E1241F4D5E63.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 128
Pretty sure itā€™s a eupterus have a look no seriously fish. They look quite skinny here so needs fattening up the dorsal fin looks a bit nibbled so see if that grows out too. They get up to 9 inches but usually a bit smaller. Really under rated fish they swim really gracefully

Pretty sure itā€™s a eupterus have a look no seriously fish. They look quite skinny here so needs fattening up the dorsal fin looks a bit nibbled so see if that grows out too. They get up to 9 inches but usually a bit smaller. Really under rated fish they swim really gracefully
Okie dokie will have a look in a second. He was in a tank with tin foil barbs and Im 99% sure I saw a large red tail shark in there too which coming to think of it explains why the dorsal fin is a bit worn and why he was constantly hiding in a large ornament, so far heā€™s been super active even in the light and is actually weirdly friendly towards me haha especially when iā€™ve put my arm in to move a sponge filter haha.

Sorry about the awful picture quality iā€™ve got a better one of him now, Iā€™ve never actually owned any types of synodontis in all honesty but I loved him to pieces so I had to get him, Iā€™m only concerned about if he will actually grow any bigger than he already is because heā€™s actually pretty big.
haha i know nothing about those lol it is very cute though. strange creature.

I had one probably 15 years ago? Still think about them a lot, always see them in the big tanks at Maidenhead clearly given to the shop after they out grew the tank they were bought for.

Tough fish too, should be ok with your cichlids :)

haha i know nothing about those lol it is very cute though. strange creature.
Haha I didnā€™t know much when I bought him either haha, he is so so cute I love his huge eyes and heā€™s full of character and probably the clumsiest fish Iā€™ve ever owned haha

Haha I didnā€™t know much when I bought him either haha, he is so so cute I love his huge eyes and heā€™s full of character and probably the clumsiest fish Iā€™ve ever owned haha
now i want one haha i dont know where to get it though lol. sad life that i can only have 1 tank lol

I had one probably 15 years ago? Still think about them a lot, always see them in the big tanks at Maidenhead clearly given to the shop after they out grew the tank they were bought for.

Tough fish too, should be ok with your cichlids :)
I actually got mine from maidenhead! Also bought some rosy tetras which Ive also never heard of or seen but they look stunning and somehow worked really well with my cichlids aswell! :)

now i want one haha i dont know where to get it though lol. sad life that i can only have 1 tank lol
Hahaha I definitely recommend them but they are quite big as adults, Mines in a 4ft long tank and he still looks huge, but heā€™s full of personality and i just fed him some blanched peas :)

Cool they are also called Bentosi Tetras really pretty but can be a bit fragile around boisterous fish not as tough as something like a Bleeding Heart or Flame Tetra

Cool they are also called Bentosi Tetras really pretty but can be a bit fragile around boisterous fish not as tough as something like a Bleeding Heart or Flame Tetra
Ooo thatā€™s a cooler name haha and Iā€™ll have to monitor them, my lfs wouldnā€™t sell me deep bodied tetras which was interesting and they reccomended the bentosis but they do look absolutely stunning :)

Wouldnt sell you deep bodied tetras? Rosy Tetras are a disk tetra? https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-rosaceus/

Interestingly not Benotsi haha (thats the problem with common names).

Worth mentioning that the tetras and the syno have pretty different water requirements.

Wills
Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear I meant as deep bodied as black widow tetras and columbian tetras, my tetras seem to be more streamlined and that could be a big problem I might move them out into a different tank when I can afford it, thank you for warning me :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back