Callin Alien Anna, an all other King of the fishes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spanky_pp_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:p BIG thanks to all the help given to me in an earlier post about "Tanks not being available to the english and when they are, they are too small etc." I went out today, and on a whim, bought a brand new tank!

I got a Trigon 180 litres, corner black trim Juwel tank.

:nod: :nod: :nod: Im so excited about getting it for my 18th birthday on the 25th of oct, that i decided to pick fish for it too....

What do you think about the type of fish, and the price.

4 Red honey dwarf gourami @ 1.99
4 Yellow dwarf gorami @ 1.99
3 Rosey barb @ 2.99
4, 1 male 3 female sunset platy @ 1.50
4, 1 male 3 female black and blue mixed platties @ 1.50
1 sucking loach @ 1.99

:wub:
:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Congrats on the new tank, which is (for future reference) 45 US gallons.

Now on to your stocking "recipe":

4 Red honey dwarf gourami @ 1.99
4 Yellow dwarf gorami @ 1.99

Far too many gouramis - 8 gouramis in any size tank is a disaster waiting to happen (the dwarf gouramis won't distinguish between different colours - they're all the same species). You might get away with two pairs, but that's a bit "might" - generally dwarf gouramis are aggressive and territorial and don't take kindly to others of their own species.

With gouramis it's generally better to stick to a m-f pair and don't have any other gouramis of any species in the tank. If you try two pairs, be ready to take one or more back to the LFS if it doesn't work out.

3 Rosey barb @ 2.99

You could actually put a couple more rosey barbs in that size tank (don't forget to have only one male and 2 or more females). Alternatively, you could have some gold or cherry barbs in addition, if you like barbs.

4, 1 male 3 female sunset platy @ 1.50

Fine.

4, 1 male 3 female black and blue mixed platties @ 1.50

That's actually 8 platties including two males, which could be a problem. Again, platties don't distinguish between colours - they're all the same species.

1 sucking loach @ 1.99

Avoid this like the plague. On no account buy this fish - it's the infamous Chinese Algae Eater under another name. These fish are very large (11") and very aggressive and don't even eat algae much once full grown. They are great for bottom feeders with aggressive cichlids or something like that, not for a normal community tank.

If you want bottom feeders consider a school of cories, a dwarf plec (bristlenose or clown) or pair of dwarf plecs, a group of Siamese Algae Eaters (difficult to obtain but wonderful fish), a school of ottos or a school of small loaches (yoyo's or chain loaches), or some combination of a couple of these species.

Larger schools of tetras are also very effective in a large tank - you could have a dozen black neons for instance. Harlequin rasboras are another great schooling fish that would be compatible. However, do remember that your platties will breed and you might need the space.

:D alien anna, i put your name on the post, cos i knew you would give me a good, inteligent response.
thankyou so much, ill let you know what the outcome of my tank is, and will take all you said into great consideration....
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Alien Anna said:
Avoid this like the plague. On no account buy this fish - it's the infamous Chinese Algae Eater under another name. These fish are very large (11") and very aggressive and don't even eat algae much once full grown.
mine cleans like hell and gets along with my live bearerers
though im not sure it a chinese algae eater

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back