Caco3 In A Fresh Water Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
Cutting straight to the point, I bought the only true BLACK sand I could find on the internet (my area is terrible for aquatic item purchases you see), but it turns out that it is a substrate used for reptiles etc, and is made up of CaCO3.
Ive spent a few years away from fish keeping, so a few things didn't enter my thoughts and a few things probably still haven't entered my thoughts about this.

I understand that my pH will have risen, but will it change with temperature also? I only ask because there is no heater just yet (I do plan on adding a heater) and as far as I'm aware there can't have been much of a pH change as the aquarium water is ~7.5pH and my tap water is ~7.0pH (very hard to distinguish the difference).
My other concern is also that the 4Kg bag I bought has covered only HALF of the aquarium floor so I will be needing to buy another 4Kg....is this going to increase pH further?

Once set up properly, I am hoping to hold south American fish so I understand that the pH would (preferably, but not strictly) have to be slightly acidic.

Cheers,
Pink.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back