Bumps or Warts on Balloon Molly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shoelaced

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a balloon molly who has developed very large bumps on her side. They are the same color as her normal scales, they look like warts or something but they've gotten very big and no one has responded on any of the forums where we've posted, nor do the people at the pet store have any idea what's wrong.

We've tested and re-tested the water, the temperature is good, none of the other fish show any symptoms, so we can't figure out what's wrong and we're getting worried. We've tried Melafix but it hasn't helped. Probably going to try Pimafix next but we don't really want to just stab around in the dark. The fish isn't behaving irregularly or rubbing on the plants or anything. She won't stay still for a picture but it seems to be exactly the same issue that this post is referencing:

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/warts-on-balloon-mollies.433635/#post-3784994

I've attached some pictures any way, as best I could take. Please help! She's our favorite fish and we'll be so disappointed if she dies.

20180221_123214.jpg

20180221_123507.jpg

In this one you can sort of see the cluster of three bumps near her belly:
20180221_123937.jpg

20180221_130549.jpg

I can't really see anything on your fish but the link to the other thread has a picture with a couple of roundish lumps on the side of the head behind the eye. This looks like a tumor but would need to be removed and stuck under a microscope to be certain. And removing something that size could kill the fish.

If you could post some more pictures I might be able to make a more positive id.

If it's a tumor and the fish is still eating, I would leave it be. If it gets too big and the fish has trouble balancing or swimming or goes off its food, then euthanase the fish. Otherwise monitor it and see what happens.

tumors are not normally contagious so it is unlikely to spread to other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back