Bumblebee Goby.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

micko

drive it like you stole it.
Reaction score
Right, have seen these BBG's for quite a while in a LFS. Now I know these are brackish but I don't have a clue about brackist water.
What do I need?
I know I need a decent Hydrometer but what's good and what isn't?
Salts, what's the deal here? General tonic salts I doubt will do the job but that's just me assuming. Where do I get salts from? What type?
Can I use a standard filter already cycled for brackish or do I need to start again?
Substrate is another question I have, what should the substrate be?
I have a fair few spare tanks around but I'm wanting to use a 3x1x1ft tank I have available as it sits comfortably in the space free but how many BBG would I get in there?

From what I've read there seems to be a huge amount of conflicting information on brackish water, what's needed and even up to the point where some are saying these gobies are not brackish. I'm pretty certain they are though so I'm obviously needing help with these.

All positive help will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, bumblebee gobies DON'T need brackish. I have two in a tank exactly the same size as that in fresh water. They do fight from time to time, but otherwise are pretty good. If you are going to keep them in brackish, then marine salt should do the trick. Also, if you want to see them a lot, then plant a fare few plants and make sure that they have loads of hiding places (otherwise they just stay at the back of the aquarium and are truly miserable). If you ever feel like giving them tankmates, I keep mine with 3 Dwarf gouramis, 2 sparkling gouramis,1 Kuhli loach (going to get more), and a very small peacock eel (I know, bad Idea, but I bought him 3 years ago and he hasn't grown an inch). The substrate can be anything so ling as it isn't sharp. I keep mine with just pebbles.

Thanks for the information.
One thing I have read a lot of is that they're not for any community type fish. Has there been any nipping?

Most reactions

Back