Building A Styrofoam Background

Wouldn't be easier to buy background like this one .
80x40rock.jpg

rootdesign.jpg

rockandroot.jpg

here is a video about backgrounds made from resin

The backgrounds are made from resin, safe for fish and they look very natural. If you would like to buy one there is online shop selling it decorations

aren't you the seller?
:hey:

heya again fozzy, i might have found some more good info for you!

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_..._background.php

check out step 5 of that guys guide. it explains how to get the toxins and whatnot out of the cement using a salt solution and water changes. hope this helps! keep us posted!

Thanks for the post.. wow strange how close to what i am doing... :)

Wouldn't be easier to buy background like this one .
80x40rock.jpg

rootdesign.jpg

rockandroot.jpg

here is a video about backgrounds made from resin

The backgrounds are made from resin, safe for fish and they look very natural. If you would like to buy one there is online shop selling it decorations

Many thanks for this..

I was looking at this before but they dont do them in the size i need. Also I wanted to make a background just to say i did it. :)

thanks for the post

today i have placed the background in the tank. I made a few mwssurement errors so i hav elost a bit of cement so tomorrow i will mix a small amount and fillin the gaps and on the top of the stryrofoam i will fill it in with cement.

In going to have some crabs so it will give the crabs an area where they can sun bath :good:

also the joins stick out a bit so with the extra cement i will blend the joins to gether as one. also the suts you see holding the tank together will also get a layer or cement.

ok so as I placed in the background I fitted in plastic pipes to transport water around the system.

here are the latest pictures.

dcp007555fq.jpg

dcp007565aq.jpg

That will look awesome when you have covered the white bits. Are you happy having that side blocked for viewing though? Are you thinking of a coverup for that exposed foam on that particular side?

Good work though mate, thanks for the pics.

looking great fozzy! Quick question, are you having live plants? i found a web-page yesterday that had some brilliant info and schematic's for a DIY CO2 plant and reactor. i will try and dig it up for you now :)

EDIT:
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

There you go. the plans and guide are towards the bottom of the page. it also discusses the diffrent kinds of yeast there are and the best ones to use. very useful page IMO :)

looking great fozzy! Quick question, are you having live plants? i found a web-page yesterday that had some brilliant info and schematic's for a DIY CO2 plant and reactor. i will try and dig it up for you now :)

EDIT:
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

There you go. the plans and guide are towards the bottom of the page. it also discusses the diffrent kinds of yeast there are and the best ones to use. very useful page IMO :)

Many thanks for this it does help alot..

The Finishing touches..

What I have done at the end which you cant see is to scrape the back ground with a small art knife.
this has taken layers off of the cement. so now you can see the different layers of colour tht i layed on. it has also put white scrape marks on the cement. this makes it look more original.

once i did this i then added 7cm of stones to the bottom. also I have placed red stones to cover up the flow control suction vents.

Here are the last photos i have done. i may post some more photos once the water is in a cleaned.

dcp007638mx.jpg

dcp007643kv.jpg

dcp007653jf.jpg

dcp007665kp.jpg

dcp007671pa.jpg

Well it was great making it and thanks for all the posts of support

First good job looking good mate, but i have a few concerns, 1st are you going to cover up the side where you can see the silicone (maybe spray it black) and why on earth did you cover the bars at the top with concrete mix, you going to end up with big shadows across.

Simon

First good job looking good mate, but i have a few concerns, 1st are you going to cover up the side where you can see the silicone (maybe spray it black) and why on earth did you cover the bars at the top with concrete mix, you going to end up with big shadows across.

Simon

Ok good question about the sides of the aquarium. I am going to re build the funishings so the sides of the aquarium will not be able to be seen. At teh moment i need to get an idea of every thing i need to install and maintain befor i do the rest of the funishings.

The reason i covered up the bars at the top is that i am going to a have a place for my crabs to sun bath. These areas will be a refuse. The water level is just over the top of the bars.
Also not all fish like direct light so its also a place where these fish can group and hide from the direct light

If i dont like it i can always remove it in later times. ITs all an experiment for me at the moment.

I have over come tha shadow thing as i am placing in two 150W Halgon Day light lamps that will shine in at a 45Deg angel once I build the roofing.

I have woked out at the end i will have 440w TL lamps and 300w halgon day light lamps.

Good questions and keep asking everyone..

Thanks

:good: Wowww! Amazing job! It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into that. I can't wait to see it filled and once all the fishies have got themselves organized! :nod:

:good: Wowww! Amazing job! It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into that. I can't wait to see it filled and once all the fishies have got themselves organized! :nod:

Thanks..

What i have noticed is that alot of grey cement had bled out of the background and because of this alot of the colours (red's browns, greys ) have come out. it is looking good. i will get some pictures once i make the lighting hood which is my next project.

I havent messured the ph level as yet as i am running it for 3 weeks before testing it.

Most reactions

trending

Back