Bubble Counter

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Whilst you cannot measure the Co2 levels with a bubble counter, the idea behind them (I think) is that once you get the correct level - using a drop checker; you then know the bubble rate, to achieve/maintain that setting.

Agree/disagree?

I agree.

For me the bubble counter has two uses.

One, when I swap canisters It takes me less then 60 seconds to dial it back in to the right level.

Two, I can see instantly if the CO2 is coming out at the same rate or not. If something went wrong and it dumped a load of CO2 into the tank faster then normal I wouldnt notice it wit the drop checker until it was too late, with the bubble checker though I can see that theh CO2 if the CO2 is going in at the same rate or not.

They are no good for comparing CO2 levels from one tank to another but for a safety check system and for peice of mind they are worth having.

Edit: Should have mentioed that a bubble counter is no use without a drop checker. You need to get the CO2 level correct by the drop checker to know how many bubbles per second/minute is right for your system.

Hi Squid,

in my 180 with 11dKH water using a ladder diffuser simillar to the JBL spiral in effectiveness then about 1.5bps was the optimum. so as mentioned start at 1 and go from there using a drop checker. if you are not using a solenoid (i didn't) then your 500g bottle will last about a month. i would highly recommend using a 2KG Fire extinguisher and buying a regulator and bubble counter seperatly. i paid £60 for a reg, solenoid and bubble counter from Japan on ebay. all very high quality parts, and great value. the bubble counter has brass fittings etc.. rather than the plastic ones you get with JBL etc.. this sounds a minor point but when you are trying to make an airtight seal it is nice to know you are not going to break something by over tightening. the FE cost £22.50 (prices incl delivery.)

previously i used the denerrle classic line system which is a bit better than the JBL kit which i had for a month but at ~£150 it is just a lot of money when you could get a better system for half the price. also as you probably know it is one thing adding CO2 it's another to maintain stable co2 levels in your tank. going off down the LFS with your piddly 500G bottle to refil it every month will mean at least a 24hr co2 interruption which will most probably give an opportuntiy for algae. even if you had a stock of bottles you wont immediatly notice an empty one fo instance if you are away for a couple of days etc...2kg lasts a good 3 months and after using JBL, Dennerle and FE/Reg i have opted for the FE option on my new tank. it takes a little leap of faith as i'm sure your thinking i cant be doing with faffing about and just want a complete kit in one box (if i know you well enough!) all i will say is that once you unpack the box the parts will be identical to if you bought it all from ebay in bits.

as to bubble counters, i totally agree with barney (above).

James

My point exactly, all be it much better explained! :rolleyes:

The bubble counters cannot initially be used to set levels of CO2 in a tank, but once a known level has reached (using drop checkers for example) then the bubble rate can then be correlated to CO2 levels.

Andy

Thanks for the answers everyone.. i'm learning ;)

it takes a little leap of faith as i'm sure your thinking i cant be doing with faffing about and just want a complete kit in one box (if i know you well enough!) all i will say is that once you unpack the box the parts will be identical to if you bought it all from ebay in bits.

Bah... i'm almost embarassed to say that you do indeed know me too well. Are you going to bother with a solenoid on the new tank Jimbooo?

Thanks
Squid

ebay link
definatly mate, i'm going to be using quite a lot of gas in such a big tank so for economy reasons i'm switching off at night. i bought the one on that link above. took a couple of weeks to arrive but very pleased with the quality.

nothing to set up just bolt it to the FE and plug the solenoid into a timer and attach co2 hose. thats it. Go on i dare you.. you wont regret it honest.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ebay link
definatly mate, i'm going to be using quite a lot of gas in such a big tank so for economy reasons i'm switching off at night. i bought the one on that link above. took a couple of weeks to arrive but very pleased with the quality.

nothing to set up just bolt it to the FE and plug the solenoid into a timer and attach co2 hose. thats it. Go on i dare you.. you wont regret it honest.

I'm doing a bit of advanced planning really as it's going to be a December job, so let me know how you get on with it. Did you need a weirdo plug adapter to make it work?

What diffuser are you choosing?

Cheers
Squid

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks chap.. odd they used a pic with some plummers PTFE (or whatever it is) tape around one of the connections ;) . Probably not best to highlight leaks in your sales collateral. heheh.

Squid

Most reactions

Back