brown and green alge

goldene

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone got any advice please on the best way to get rid of alge, I have recently set up a new tank '3 weeks' with lights (I did not have any in my old tank so did not have a alge problem) and brown alge or diatom 'what ever its called' is spreading on my silk and real plants also on the back of the tank glass, now Iv noticed that the green alge is growing over the brown on the glass, I have scraped it off the glass, I have a small hillstream loach so should I leave some for it to eat.

Its ok I know its normal in a new set up I just wondered if any one had a found a easy way of getting rid of it?

One of the main causes of algae is the lights , so only turn the lights on when ur around the tanks and that should cut down on ur algae problems!

Thanks for replying was wondering if anybody was there :D

hey there everyone,

def need more people on here eh goldene

can i ask a quick Q in realtion to yours?

do fish need artificial lights to see.. my tank is abit dark..

do they need lights at all?

sorry for the hi-jack :eek:

thanks, josh

Hi :) No fish do not need artifitial lights to see infact they have no eyelids so it can hurt their eyes if you put the light on suddenly but if you have real plants they do need about 8-12 hours of light, some natural light would be good for the fish, would you like to be kept in the dark, If you do not have real plants and your tank is quite dark you can use a lamp near by. just remember not to give them a shock gradually light up the room or tank?

:D thanks glodene! that was really helpful

ive got my tank sorted now.. with a light.. i bodged it.. see the diy section soonish :) all safe tho.. no electricuted fish!

i moved the tank from the worst place it could possibly be.. near a window and a radiator so now its all good..

started off with 2 white cloud mountain minnows yesterday.. and ther not dead :D

hope i dont get algae.. but.. its pretty likely eh.

thanks again. Josh

Alge update :thumbs: got rid but had to manually clean plants and scrape off tank but so far its not come back thankgoodness :fun:

Ps. spoke too soon grr

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back