Brown Algae

One thing I have noticed is that the tips of some plants look yellow. Do you have that same problem?

Anyway, I've done all the water checks (as I'm sure you have too) and they are all showing as normal - so I'm just as baffled as you are as to why the algae is there. Oh yes, it seems that since I added all the plants, my tank water has a greenish hue to it - what's that all about? Is yours like that? I do regular water changes of 25% but it's still the same. My other tanks are not like this but they do not have as many live plants in them.

You have unhealthy plants which are now leaching ammonia across their cell walls, triggering your brown algae and green water.

I tend to have brown algae when I use a brand new aquarium or new sand. The diatoms use the silica to create a hard shell. The brown stuff you can see are the diatoms that have actually died. Some people refute the silca levels in a new set up being a trigger, but it seems to be the case in my experience. Having said that, my diatoms grow in high light tanks.

The appearance of the algae is nothing to with phosphates or nitrates.

I never had green water until a few weeks ago when a water change in two tanks resulted in green water. I have no idea how this triggered the algae (maybe the tap water had ammonia in it), but daily 80% water changes eventually shifted it out of both tanks, and they are now both crystal clear again.

Dave.
 
Hi - I came back to this thread to mention something to Gaz and then saw Dave's reply to my queries.

Ok, firstly - Gaz - did you see my post on the forum today about snails in the tank? They are not in my brown algae tank btw - anyhow, a few members said that snails were ok in a tank and would actually help clear up any algae problems.

So I was thinking - if your tank is too stocked to get the Oto's - how about a few snails? I'm going to try putting a couple from my good tank into the problematic tank and see how things go.

Dave - thanks for your interesting reply about my plants/green water etc. When you say my plants are leaking ammonia - how is it that my ammonia readings are nil on the test kit (it's a liquid test). The lights on my tank are very bright (two of them) in fact, one of it's selling points was that it was an aquarium designed for growing live plants in. But the problem is that the lights are only on from 8pm - midnight/1pm at latest each day. At weekends they are on for longer as I am at home.

I've been doing 15 - 25% water changes weekly on that tank but maybe I should do a really big water change, get rid of some of the plants, clean the glass, add a snail or two and see if that fixes it.

Gaz - it's the battle of the BA! (Brown Algae)

Athena
 
Hello Athena, I just saw it! :D

I am planning to change my 8 danios for a small group of oto's anyway, which will clear the brown algae and reduce my stocking abit!
And it will give the bigger rasboras all of the top/middle of the tank for swimming space.

I am (hopefully) down your way on friday so I am going to pop into your local LFS for a look-see :)
 
Oh, ok! Seeing your nan at last then?

The LFS is only a small set-up but if there's something you want that is not in stock they will always try to order in for you.

I'll still ask on Saturday when I'm in there, just in case you don't manage to get down there tomorrow.

Athena
 
Oh, ok! Seeing your nan at last then?

The LFS is only a small set-up but if there's something you want that is not in stock they will always try to order in for you.

I'll still ask on Saturday when I'm in there, just in case you don't manage to get down there tomorrow.

Athena


thats much appreciated, thanks!

Yep going down to see my nan, plus there is a gun shop in Sturry so Im swinging around there for some ammunition too.

I have a fairly large LFS to me anyway(Swallow Aquatics, Gravesend) so I was just going to go in there on the off chance they sell them, and its always nice to check out new shops
 
Yep going down to see my nan, plus there is a gun shop in Sturry so Im swinging around there for some ammunition too.


HUH??? Guns? Ammo? OMG - I've not bothered you that much on the forums, have I?

Help...someone...anyone?
 
When you say my plants are leaking ammonia - how is it that my ammonia readings are nil on the test kit (it's a liquid test).
Athena

The planted tank side of the hobby is moving away from using test kits, due to their inaccuracy. Money can be better spent elsewhere. Plants will leach undetectable ammonia levels, but enough to trigger algae. Sort out the health of your plants, or get rid of them would be my first piece of advice.

Dave.
 
...to make rabbit stew and...squirrel pie? :sick:


yeah I eat or give away most of the rabbits, I dont eat the squirrels though, I just cull their numbers as they are killing off the red squirrel which is native to the UK
 
can't remember the last time I saw a red squirrel in the wild!

Those grey squirrels are cheeky little beggars - frightened the life out of me in Greenwich Park - they chased me round and round in circles, in and out of the trees because they knew I had food in my bag!! I was screaming for help in the end LOL - the park rangers came along in their car probably thinking someone was being attacked. All they saw was me up against a tree, cornered by two greedy squirrels (with a very menacing look in their eyes).

Sorry for going off-topic btw (in case we get told off!)...

Fish fish fish... algae algae algae...
 
can't remember the last time I saw a red squirrel in the wild!

Those grey squirrels are cheeky little beggars - frightened the life out of me in Greenwich Park - they chased me round and round in circles, in and out of the trees because they knew I had food in my bag!! I was screaming for help in the end LOL - the park rangers came along in their car probably thinking someone was being attacked. All they saw was me up against a tree, cornered by two greedy squirrels (with a very menacing look in their eyes).

Sorry for going off-topic btw (in case we get told off!)...

Fish fish fish... algae algae algae...


yeah my fault sorry about that guys n gals!

back to topic, lovely algae weather we're having :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top