Brown Algae

AML225

New Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey guys

I currently have a 10 gallon fully cycled with 5 black skirt tetras, well planted. It gets a lot of sunlight due to it's location my room and lately I've noticed brown algae forming on the walls of the tank. It doesn't really bother me as I know it's natural but I'm wondering what if anything should be done? I can't move the tank unfortunately, do I have room in my tank to pick up an algae eater or two? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Drew
 
10 gallons is pretty small... your better off just getting a scrub pad and just reaching in and cleaning the sides... mabey get a few snails to clean the edges... the algae eaters get big and will outgrow your tank
 
Brown algae is more common on leaves and in new tanks (how long has it been set up?). It is actually diatoms that feed on the silica that is leeched from the silicone that seals the joints of the tank. It will go away once the silica is all gone. You may actually have spot algae which is pretty common in all tanks. It forms on the glass and can be wiped away during weekly water changes.

If the tank is getting direct sunlight, you will eventually have much greater problems with blue-green algae and green water. It is almost impossible to prevent if the tank s exposed to direct sunlight. And algae eaters won't touch that type algae. You will either have to move the tank to another room or fight a constant battle with the algae. And BGA can totally overrun a tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top