Brown Algae- It Wont Go Away

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kabernick30

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 26 gallon tank with a 24 inch t8 bulb and a few live plants, i only have 5 serpae tetras currently but i will be adding more fish. I do weekly 15-30% water changes and run my lights for around 12 hours a day because iheard to try and get rid of brown algae more light it better however it hasn't improved. I mainly have brown algae forming on my gravel and on a piece of Malaysian driftwood but ive never had green algae which leads me to suspect its something im doing to provoke it.

If anyone has brown algae or knows how to get the green algae to outcompete the brown algae, let me know as ive ran out of possibly causes for it.

Ps i have no parameters except for ammonia being at 0 sorry:)

algae likes light.  you are providing too much light and too many nutrients to your water. that is why you have algae.

you can try to get some live plants and they will decrease the amount of algae, possibly. but you have basically created a great environment for algae and that is why you have it.

jasonh_000 said:
algae likes light.  you are providing too much light and too many nutrients to your water. that is why you have algae.

you can try to get some live plants and they will decrease the amount of algae, possibly. but you have basically created a great environment for algae and that is why you have it.
I have live plants but how would i go about lowering the amount of nutrients?

Most reactions

trending

Back