Brown Algae (Diatoms) Infestation

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LunaBug

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am having a major issue with brown algae, which the LFS has identified as diatoms. I noticed it originally on my ornamental Buddha that was in the tank so I immediately pulled the ornament and scrubbed it in extremely hot water before returning it to the tank. Almost over night the algae seemingly exploded all over the gravel. I invested in a new gravel vac and attempted to rid the tank of it that way. When that didn't work I went to the LFS again and asked what I could do and they recommended live plants to try and smother the diatoms by usage of the nutrients that feeds it. I figured why not and bought some java fern and a few swords (argentinian and amazonian I believe) since they were suited for my existing lighting set up. Everything seemed to be going well but over the past week the brown algae has completely took over my tank and went as far as to cover the plants. The water has become super cloudy and there was a severe ammonia spike (when testing there wasn't even a color on the scale remotely close to the dark green it turned). Luckily I've been cycling another tank and after multiple tests over the past week the water has reached perfect conditions with optimal bacteria growth so I could transfer my fish over to it while I try to sort out the brown mess that is my personal tank. 

So after all that background here is the problem, I am coming up short on what to do in order to rid the infested tank of the brown algae completely. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The specs of the tank are as follows
Tank & Filter: Aqueon Evolve 8 with Fluval Ceramic media to replace the Bio-Holster (baffled due to the bettas inability to withstand the current)
Substrate: Natural River Pebble gravel
Lighting: Factory LED lighting included with Aqueon Evolve 8 (lit for 8-10 hrs per day)
Temp: 78 degrees
Plants: Java Fern
           Amazon Sword
           Argentinian Sword
           Kyoto Grass (I have been informed that while its not completely aquatic that it will survive fully submerged for 6 months onward)
Fish: 1 Betta 
        5 White Cloud Minnows
        (All are currently removed while attempting to clean)
Feeding Schedule: Every other day

I've been having this problem in my tank practically since day one, and lessening your light helps.  Have the light on less hours or pick a "lights off" day of the week, make sure lights are off when you're not home, or if it's really really bad just cover the whole tank in a blanket for about five days. Next thing I'm gonna try is getting some flourish excel for my plants, the co2 is supposed to help.

nerites are a solution to this, They are known for eating diatoms. 

just toss a couple in and your algae problems will be lessened

I was under the impression that nerites could only survive in a saltwater tank DerpPH. Belldandy, I have tried a 48hr lights off approach and as soon as I went back to the typical lighting schedule it was like a brown muck explosion. 

Should I remove the gravel and reclean it in hot water and do a large water change? I don't want to kill the existing bacteria colony but I definitely don't want to encourage the growth of this algae. The ammonia has always been an issue in this tank so I am looking into internal causes, the ornamental buddha is my main suspect. 

LunaBug said:
I was under the impression that nerites could only survive in a saltwater tank DerpPH. Belldandy, I have tried a 48hr lights off approach and as soon as I went back to the typical lighting schedule it was like a brown muck explosion. 

Should I remove the gravel and reclean it in hot water and do a large water change? I don't want to kill the existing bacteria colony but I definitely don't want to encourage the growth of this algae. The ammonia has always been an issue in this tank so I am looking into internal causes, the ornamental buddha is my main suspect. 

Nerites start out in saltwater then gradually move to freshwater. They are becoming ever popular in algae control in planted, reef and fish only tanks everywhere

DerpPH said:

Nerites start out in saltwater then gradually move to freshwater. They are becoming ever popular in algae control in planted, reef and fish only tanks everywhere

I will definitely look into some then. In the mean time, since there is a severe ammonia spike happening, how can I go about clearing the tank and getting the water back into livable conditions?

Phosphate remover in your filter should kick it in to touch. Lots of different types, but the effect is the same....

JLB PhosEx Ultra
Seachems PhosGuard
Eheims Phosphate Out

Etc. 

LunaBug said:

I will definitely look into some then. In the mean time, since there is a severe ammonia spike happening, how can I go about clearing the tank and getting the water back into livable conditions?

water changes of 20-30% are recommended,  Keep your stats in check. and make sure excess food is disposed of right away

Most reactions

trending

Back