Brown Alage

cheerycherry

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
the last 3 or 4 days ive had loads of brown algae in my tank.I have loads and loads of rocks due to having cichlids and its covering them.Ive gone in with the algae pad several times but its growing so fast!

How can i get rid?

Water stats are fine by the way
 
decrease the light or add some plants. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) will help reduce the light and use the nutrients that encourage algal problems. You can also add some algae eating fish or snails that will help clean it up.
 
Good algae eaters include:
Otos - 2 inch max dilligent algae eaters, peaceful, always chubby, always pooping (if they aren't then there's a problem)
Bristlenose Pleco - 6 inch max dilligent algae eaters, males will fight and be territorial only with other plecos. Great to watch, lots of character, need bogwood / mopani root and they always are seen chewing on it

Or if your tank is massive I recommend a sailfin pleco or common pleco (i prefer sailfins). They eat the algae well, need lots of cucumber/ corgette and grow to 48cm. I would personally say that the tank should be at least 5ft to keep a sailfin or common pleco.

DO NOT GET CHINESE ALGAE EATERS / SUCKING LOACH / INDIAN ALGAE EATERS - I can say without any doubt that they are the objectification of evil.
 
I have a Synodontis eupterus but it wont come out to eat it lol

How long should I have the lights on max to keep it under control? will it ever go away?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top