Bristlenoses - Best Algae Cleaners Ever.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

crazychris

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Bought one bristle-nose about 3 weeks ago and cannot believe how he's single-handedly cleaned my tank of algae!!! It's amazing. The two sides and back were completely covered with green algae and had been for months. He's cleaned the left side and back already and has started on the right side I see now. He went from left to right. :good: Brilliant. If you have an algae problem folks, get one of these. Must be him as I see him emerge from his log after lights go out and start rasping on the algae. He loves cucumber and Hikari algae wafers too. :good:

they are great little algae eaters aren't they and ideal for tanks on the smaller side too, i need to find me a desent one again :good:

Ancistrus are my favourite fish EVER! I love these little guys, especially when there babys (so cute!) When I was 18, I bred them, and had quite a good little buisness going on. I had to stop when I went to university, though. Right now I had two babys in my 20 gallon, with Platy's, Tetras, and Electric Blue rams, and they are so awsome- my girl, Trudy, loves to clean my tank- she patcges it up in a few minutes, then sits on my rocks. My boy, Kodiak, is so funny- he loves sitting on this leaf, that sways in the water because of the filter flow. Its like he's surfing! Here's a bristlenose tip: They do so much better with wood in the tank- once I had a paire of BN's in a breeding tank with ONLY plants, and they were never as healthy and happy as my others. Another tip= This is what I do to prepare my veggies.

-Cut up many different types of veggies into small peices(I like to do Zuchini,Cucumber,Carrot,and Brocholie Stems)
-Boil them intil they are soft.
-Put them in the freezer in a tupper-wear container

When you need a veggie, take one out, and thaw it. This I find seems to be the safest, most affective way to thaw.

-Take your veggie and put it in room temp water intil the veggie is soft (roughly 15 min.)
-Take the now soft veggie, and using tongs, rinse for 50 seconds in boiling hot water.
-Let veggie cool for about 50 seconds, until it is slightly warm\
-rinse in COLD water for 1 minute.
-Tie onto rock, or screw onto screwcumber (A great little thing, that looks like a coil of metal- you just screw the veggies on, and drop 'em in!)
-Place in tank

I like this method, because the quick variations from hot to cold quickly kill bacteria, and rinse of residue.

What are some of your BN tips?

Zophie :good:

i dont like any of the Plecostomus.

best algae cleaners i seen r siamises gold algae eaters.. the best i seen so far
(u have to replace them witj young, when they start annoying other fish)

Do Siamese Gold Algae Eater even exist? :huh:
lol I'm gonna say Chinese.

My calico something or other BN are lazy. They got some magor algae to eat before I ever call them good algae eaters. And they are ugly. IDK why I bought, except that they were a good deal at an auction. True saimease algae eaters are good fish, but they too can still develop a bit of an additude when it comes to food. Panda garras have always done a good job for me along with cherry shrimp. Though despite everything I don't think there is a fish that will eat black beard algae or black brush algae.

It's a mouth full but I still think that Albino long-finned bristle noses are the prettiest. They look almost ethereal..at least the ones I saw :lol:

I truly miss my Gibby Pleco. I knew I was not going to be able to keep him in a 20gal for very long but I found a good home/tank for him with a Pleco-lover. She only has Plecos in numerous 55gal tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back